"Classic" 6-digit Arduino Nixie Clock Revision 5 LED questions

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12254 by Ty_Eeberfest
What's your power supply voltage?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #12255 by Ty_Eeberfest
Actually nevermind the voltage question. Here is how I would do it:

No matter what the supply voltage, replace the 1K resistors on the board with wire jumpers.

If supply is 12V put a 1K resistor (1/8 or 1/4 watt) on every cathode.

If supply is 9V put a 680 ohm resistor (1/8 or 1/4 watt) on every cathode.

The reason I want you to jumper out the 1K resistors on the board is because you have so many LEDs. When you have 9 LEDs alll pulling at once thru the 1K on the board that single 1K creates a "bottleneck" that will drop so much voltage / limit the current so severely that your LEDs will be ridiculously dim or not light at all. Jumpering out the 1K's on the board and giving every LED its own resistors eliminates the bottleneck and lets the LEDs operate the way they are supposed to.

EDIT: Be sure to feed your LED anodes from VIN - NOT from VCC! With so many LEDs using VCC would put unreasonable demand on the +5V regulator.

Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Ty_Eeberfest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dkivett

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #12256 by BS_Jim
Also make sure your power supply is up to the task. With 9 LED's, all running at full brightness and all colors lit, with ~10 ma per color, 30 ma per LED, that could draw as much as 270 ma. The clock could draw about 500 ma at full tube brightness so that's 770ma total. for a good margin of error use at least a 1-1/2 amp to 2 amp power supply.

edit: Yeah, I realize that the clock without the LED's probably only draws about 250 ma max, but I stick by my recommendation for a "beefier" power supply than 1 amp.
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by BS_Jim.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12257 by Dkivett
Thank you
I have a 12V brand new supply (which i will test before I use it) and thanks for the note on making sure I use the VIN not VCC. I've been using VIN, this close to being done with the clock i would hate to mess up and toast something
Again thank you soo much for you help

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12258 by Ty_Eeberfest
Jim - very good point. I didn't think to add up the loads but you're right, it does require a good sturdy power supply.

Dave - Sounds like you're good to go. Let me just re-emphasize that it's very important that you remove the 3 1K resistors (R20, R21, R22) on the board and replace them with wire jumpers. If you skip this step those 3 resistors will most likely emit smoke and fail right away.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dkivett

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12259 by Dkivett
I just checked my new power supply is 2 amp. I will go remove the (R20, R21, R22) today before i do anything else with the leds
Thank you all very much

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com