"Classic" 6-digit Arduino Nixie Clock Revision 5 LED questions

More
1 month 5 days ago #12262 by Dkivett
would 95SG9 work instead in ins-1 or -3?
I found these one eBay i have included all the information they had available
i am hoping for this it be easy if it takes serious modifications i'll pass i have 2 Ins-1 that work ok (they are mostly stay i am using 4 resistors totaling 168k) I've checked the HV generator and a few other components and they run cool just a few degrees above room temperature, and the nixie tubes seem to be running at normal brightness levels

Thanks for all the help
listed below are the technical specs

95SG9 - Nixie signaling the glow discharge (neon lamp). Designed for use as an indicator light in the devices of electronic equipment.

Key Features 95SG9:
The ignition voltage, not more
95B (100B *)
Power supply voltage is not less than 120V
Operating current, not more
3mA
* At the end of product life.

Indicators 95SG9 must be connected through the ballast. Indicators can be used to direct and alternating current. When working dc housing cap should be connected to the positive supply, and the lower contact - to the negative pole.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago #12263 by Ian
They look a lot like INS-1 dots. I'm assuming they have the same characteristics.

I have quite a lot of experience with those, and there are two problems, maybe three:

1) They draw a lot of current to light up reliably. The on-board HV generator is not really up to the job of supplying them. It will do it, but you will find that the main display will dim when you load it up with the power hungry dots.
2) They don't light reliably. and tend to light up one after the other, or not at all. We're driving them with PWM, and that causes them additional problems.
3) Only a problem if you don't know it: The devices are polarized - one of the legs has a dot next to it.

In short, I wouldn't advise you use these. If you want, have a go, but I have never been satisfied with the results. Same with the IN-3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dkivett

More
1 month 3 days ago #12326 by Dkivett
Thanks
yeah my Ins-1 are a little quirky
i just wanted a slightly larger bulb
Thank you for you help
somewhere i have a hv generator board if i hook the ground from the extra generator board to the Nixie board then use the HV the separate HV gen + and the tick off the nixie card
this way i wouldn't be putting any stress on the Nixie board

More
1 month 3 days ago #12329 by Ian
That will work fine, just connect the ground points on the two parts, and you should be good to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dkivett

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com