DS3231 being re-set after power outage if wi-fi not available

More
1 month 1 week ago #12222 by Jedidiah
Hello, I have your "All-In-One 6-digit Arduino Nixie Clock" running v57 with both a DS3231 RTC and a Wi-Fi module (running vx56) attached. I've noticed that if wi-fi is not connected to a valid time provider and if the clock subsequently loses power, the DS3231 will be re-set to a default date/time of 2018-01-01 00:00:00 upon power-up. It does not happen if the Arduino is simply re-set via the re-set button. It seems to be related to the wi-fi module losing power. In any case, I'm sure it was not designed to work this way, and any assistance would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #12223 by Ty_Eeberfest
Is this the "shield" version of the All-In-One? Plugged into an Uno, as opposed to the stand-alone version?

First thing I'm thinking of is the RTC battery. Have you installed a CR2032 coin cell in the holder on the RTC module? If so, are you sure it's a good battery? Best to test it with a meter and not assume that just because it's new it must be good.

I don't have everything I need here to try and reproduce the problem, so if the battery isn't the problem we'll need to wait for a response form Ian.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 month 1 week ago #12224 by Jedidiah
Yes, it is the "shield" version with an UNO. Yes, the battery is installed and is good (reading 3.3v).

More
1 month 1 week ago #12225 by Ian
When you go onto the summary page in the wifi provider, do you see one slave or two (104 and 105)?

More
1 month 1 week ago #12226 by Jedidiah
There are two slaves (104 and 105).

Also, looking over the ESP8266 code for version vx56, I see the following:
#define SOFTWARE_VERSION "vx56"
The setup section of code contains the following:
sendTimeToI2C("2018,01,01,0,0,0");

It would seem that whenever the ESP8266 reboots, it is going to initially set the RTC to "2018,01,01,0,0,0". Under normal circumstances, the wi-fi takes over immediately and re-sets the RTC to the proper time. However, if there is a problem with the wi-fi, which I recently experienced, the clock will simply proceed from "2018,01,01,0,0,0".

More
1 month 1 week ago #12228 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm not sure what Ian may have had in mind when putting that in there but it does look like the source of your problem. If you're set up to recompile the code and flash the ESP I'd say go ahead and try commenting that line out and re-flashing.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com