Tubes blank after start up

More
3 months 1 week ago #12219 by RikSeelen

Ian wrote: if you touch the can of the crystal during the startup procedure? Does that make any difference?

I tried, but it does not make a difference. Very mysterious indeed ;)

Ian wrote: And just so that I am sure I have understood it: if you factory reset, it goes through the procedure and then goes into blank.

Correct, after the procedure that I filmed it goes completely blank.

Ian wrote: If you now restart without doing a factory reset, it does the same thing? That is, straight to blank?

Yes straight to blank - with one difference, being that the backlight-leds this time are actually on (red), while directly after the factory reset the leds were also blank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 days ago #12227 by RikSeelen
So Sorry to ask, but have you indeed send a new mega8 chip?
I'm anxious to finish the project! :laugh:

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #12260 by RikSeelen
Hi all,

In the meantime I became restless, and tried programming the ATmega328 using an arduino, but this was fruitless...
I did not have an extra 16 Mhz crystal or other components on hand, so I had to use an alternative method.

Anyhow, this did not work. So, then getting a new one is the best option for me.
Sorry if I seem impatient, (I am a bit ofcourse, I want the nixie clock to shine in its glory!) but could you (Ian) let me know if the new chip is on its way? Or should I order a new one from the shop?

Let me know!

Rik

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12266 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Tubes blank after start up
Hi Rik, hmmm let me check, I don't remember doing it. BRB...
The following user(s) said Thank You: RikSeelen

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12373 by RikSeelen
HI ian, Im back again!
So, in the meantime I have gotten my hands on an arduino uno, and I tried to flash the code on to the chip.
This didnt make a difference. I also tried to program the code on the chip from the arduino itself, remove it, and put it in the clock. This also did not solve the problem, although the startup sequence might be a bit less chaotic.

So, I still do not get anything after the start-up procedure. The high-voltage circuit seems to shut down, and I only read a 12 V on the measurement points. If I then remove and start power again, without factory reset, I now read a 230 V on the HV pins; and now the leds also start working.

So in summary; I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the chip crashing, as now I've flashed two different chips and with both I had the same problem. The problem has to be somewhere else! Im curious to hear what you guys think about this, Ian and Ty_Eeberfest!

I noticed maybe another (unrelated on related) thing. During the test sequence, the led lights still emit a little bit of light in the state that they're supposed to be off.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #12374 by RikSeelen
Well, just after I wrote this, I found a new symptom occuring.....
See the picture below
This is something new, I have not seen this before. Maybe I left the power on the clock too long (10 min.) in the state of not working ,where there is 230 volts of output of the HV circuit.

The glowing tube does not return immediately when I re-apply power, and I dont dare to let power on it that long again :P
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by RikSeelen.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com