Tubes blank after start up

More
8 months 6 days ago - 8 months 6 days ago #12213 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Tubes blank after start up
Sorry, I was not paying attention, I am here now though.

The startup sequence seems OK to me, it is going what I would expect. Note that when the count stops at 223, the LEDs continue to dim. The it goes for the final step and sets all the digits to 8 again.

I sort of agree that there might be a blanking problem there.

I'll get another controller on the way tonight, just to get that out of the way, but I'm not 100% convinced that it will solve the issue. I'm wondering if the PIR pin is stuck at GND and that is causing a false blanking.
Last edit: 8 months 6 days ago by Ian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RikSeelen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 6 days ago #12214 by Ty_Eeberfest

Ian wrote: The startup sequence seems OK to me, it is going what I would expect. Note that when the count stops at 223, the LEDs continue to dim. The it goes for the final step and sets all the digits to 8 again.

Yeah, I called it a hot mess because it seemed to be stopping at too-high values. Later on I changed my mind for the reason you just stated.

Ian wrote: I sort of agree that there might be a blanking problem there.

I'll get another controller on the way tonight, just to get that out of the way, but I'm not 100% convinced that it will solve the issue. I'm wondering if the PIR pin is stuck at GND and that is causing a false blanking.

If it was blanking wouldn't pressing the button light it up for a little while, even if the PIR pin was stuck low? Also, he did say he measured +5V on the PIR pin, which I took to mean he was seeing the internal pull-up. It's somewhere up-thread. Somewhere ;)

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
8 months 6 days ago #12215 by RikSeelen

Ian wrote: I'll get another controller on the way tonight, just to get that out of the way, but I'm not 100% convinced that it will solve the issue. I'm wondering if the PIR pin is stuck at GND and that is causing a false blanking.

Yeah so indeed I already measured the 5V pull-up at the PIR port. I did just get my radar sensors, so I will try tonight to connect these; just in case if this makes a difference.

More
8 months 6 days ago #12216 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic Tubes blank after start up
Just a thought here guys. Have you tried a different (higher current) power supply? Those count-down and count-up sequences suggest to me that it's having trouble supporting the HV,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
8 months 6 days ago #12217 by RikSeelen

BS_Jim wrote: Just a thought here guys. Have you tried a different (higher current) power supply? Those count-down and count-up sequences suggest to me that it's having trouble supporting the HV,

I measured the output of my power supply, and then it gives me a value of 3 A at 9 volts. Should be enough I believe...

I noticed one new thing, by the way. If I reset the clock, and the tubes blank, then the leds are also off.
But when I then remove the power quick and start the clock again (no reset), then the leds show steady red light...

At this moment, when I measure the output from the HV circuit, I measure around 230 volts, and this does not stop (till i remove power obviously).

I also installed the PIR sensor already but it made 0 difference.

More
8 months 5 days ago #12218 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Tubes blank after start up
Last thing to try, and then I'll get some new bits on the way - it's a mysterious one, though, so I'm not confident that exchanging pieces will make a difference.

if you touch the can of the crystal during the startup procedure? Does that make any difference?

And just so that I am sure I have understood it: if you factory reset, it goes through the procedure and then goes into blank.

If you now restart without doing a factory reset, it does the same thing? That is, straight to blank?

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com