Forum Search

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12113 by Ty_Eeberfest
Forum Search was created by Ty_Eeberfest

meq123 wrote: A forum search didn't turn that up, so I had to skim through a bunch of threads to find it again

Yeah, this. Pet peeve of mine, probably because even after being on this forum for years I still occasionally get tripped up by it. Two search options on every page, three on some pages. Eeek.

So here's a clarification. It's something everyone should read when they join - like that's really gonna happen.

Red "Nope!" - this one does not search the Forum. It searches the articles on the main page of the site. Useless if you are trying to find a solution to a problem.

Orange "Limited" - Searches the Forum but only looks at posts <= 1 year old.

Green "Best" - Full parametric search of any/all parts of the Forum. By default it does the same thing as "Limited" but you can change date range and a bunch of other things.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12118 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Forum Search
Wow, you know I didn't know that. Thanks for the overview. I'll work on making that clear. For example, I think I can turn off the site search when you are in the forum, that might help a bit.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12119 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Forum Search
Something else I just noticed about the "landing page" (/forum-56/1-main-forum). Depending on how you arrive at that page (coming in "cold" from a bookmark or link Vs. coming back from one of the sub-forums) it may or may not have the menubar with the forum Search option. To be clear, by menubar I mean the bar with links to Recent Topic / Unread / New Topic / ...BlahBlahBlah... / Help / Search. Sometimes the menubar is there and sometimes it isn't, When it isn't the only Search available is the Nope! one. Pretty sure I don't need to explain why this is not a good thing! ;)

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12120 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Forum Search
So, Ty, thanks for bringing that up!

I have changed it now so that perhaps it is a little bit less crap. I have removed the site search from the forum, because that was where I always clicked, thinking that it should work. I also changed the "Limited" to be unlimited. There was a setting to limit the time range to one year, and I changed that now to "forever".

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12121 by Ty_Eeberfest
Sounds good but here's some more. Picture > words.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #12122 by Ty_Eeberfest
Oh - note different URLs in screen shots above.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com