"Modular" 6-digit Arduino Nixie Clock - power supply

More
4 months 4 days ago #11922 by reglings
Hi all,

I happen to have a 15v (6A) power supply available. Would that be an overkill?

Without a load it provides 15.33V. Now the question is - are radiators going to be necessary? Or I should go buy 12v adaptor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 4 days ago #11923 by Ty_Eeberfest
Big power supply like that is overkill. 15V is right on the edge of being too much. It would probably work but you would need to put heat sinks on the MOSFET and the 5V regulator. If you do that be sure to use two separate heat sinks - the metal tabs of the two devices must NOT be electrically connected together!

Actual power demand at 12 volts is about 250 - 300 milliamps.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 months 3 days ago #11924 by Ian
I would see 15V @ 6A as too much as well - also from a safety point of view: you could easily cause a fire if something failed in the clock with 90W of available input power.

A 12V @ 1A power supply is recommended. A 9V @ 1A supply will also work well.

More
4 months 2 days ago #11929 by reglings
Thank you all, I listened to the sound of wisdom and went and bought a 12v/1a adaptor for this project.

I received the kit today and I built it. I had so much fun :) Thank you Ian for including spare leds, one of them didn't light up and I replaced it. Maybe I overheated it, it was the first one I soldered. These diodes are not like the rest of the components, if you touch it - the plastic melts.

To be honest, this kit is not for beginners, but with patience all is good at the end of the day. I am very happy with the end result.

More
4 months 2 days ago #11936 by Ty_Eeberfest
Yes, those LEDs are difficult. Just stare at one and think warm thoughts - it'll melt. ;) Not sure why the manufacturer chose that particular kind of plastic, but they did, and there really isn't an alternate (sturdier) part available yet. Anyway, good to hear you got it all working and had some fun in the process!

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #11960 by meq123
Ahhh... that explains it. I've seen all the warnings about being careful with the neopixels and a soldering iron, but I assumed it was because the internals were fragile. Knowing it's the plastic is better - at least it's instantly visible if you screw up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com