Classic Nixie Clock Kit question

More
5 months 3 days ago #12027 by meq123
Sorry to bump this again... Now my nixie's are in, I'm beginning my build. Since I have many 5V 'wall wart' supllies from old phones/USB hubs etc., I was thinking of just using one of those and bypassing the 5V drop-down circuitry on-board the classic v6. But then I noticed that the HT supply is fed from VIN, not VCC. So would 5V into that not give it enough 'umph' to reach 170V? Or is it OK to use a 5V supply directly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 days ago #12028 by Ty_Eeberfest
A 5V supply will definitely NOT work. The HV supply wants a minimum of 9V and in my opinion runs better on 12V.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
5 months 3 days ago #12029 by Ian
No, the one on the board won't do it.

There are options for doing this, but the board as it is doesn't manage to reach the output voltage.

I have a transformer based supply that can run 180V@30mA from 5V supply, and it might even be possible with a voltage doubler, but right now, as Ty says, no dice.

More
5 months 3 days ago #12030 by meq123
Ahh, OK, thanks guys. Glad I asked :)

More
5 months 3 days ago #12035 by Ty_Eeberfest
A 12V wall wart with at least 500mA capacity will do the job nicely and is easily gotten. Just make sure it's regulated: measure the no-load output voltage and verify it's reasonably close to 12V. I only mention this because I have some older "12V" units in my box o' warts that wander up to 16 - 17 volts under light load which is no good. Pretty much any unit you buy nowadays will not have that deficiency.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
5 months 2 days ago #12043 by meq123
Yeah I have a bunch of 12V switching supplies too (as well as a few transformer ones). Seems like only the transformer ones are unregulated, but I'll check the switching ones too. Thx

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com