Classic Nixie Clock Kit question

More
5 months 2 days ago #12045 by meq123
Heh. I went through my box of wall warts and selected a nice small switching 12V/500mA supply with the correct plug. Tested the (no load) voltage... 16.1V! Doh!

Back to the selection box tomorrow :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 days ago #12047 by Ty_Eeberfest
Yep, it happens. I think it's safe to say that ALMOST all switchers are regulated but not all of them. Seems that manufacturers will cut any corner they can to save a few pennies and if the device the wart came with will tolerate varying input voltage (e.g. the first thing it does is regulate the "12V" down to 5V) then they figure the feedback circuitry in the wart can be left out. Meh. They have no respect for all of us that collect and re-purpose the things.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12076 by meq123
OK, I'm building the thing now, and see what seems (?) to be a mistake maybe? The resistor for the DP line shows in the classic R6 as a 1K resistor. Seeing as the other digits are all 'driven' by 3K resistors, this seems low? So then I checked the schematic for the All-in-one and I see the DP resistor there is 4K7 - which seems more reasonable at first glance. Now I understand the code could pulse the DP at a lower rate than the digits, but I want to be sure the 1K is correct before I fry my nixie DPs :)

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12080 by Ty_Eeberfest
Since the All in One doesn't have a decimal driver I'll assume you meant the Modular has a 4.7K. I checked and indeed it does. The Classic R6 manual is consistent between schematic and text saying 1K. So I'm not quite sure what's up with that and why it would be different then the Modular.

Maybe Ian can shed some light on the subject.

If you want to keep moving forward and not wait for Ian then put in a 4.7K if you have one. It can't do any harm and will probably work just fine. If you later find the decimals too dim to suit you (which I doubt) you could always change it to 1K. But I can tell you I have 2 Modulars sitting next to me with 4.7K DP resistors in them and they look fine.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12082 by meq123
Thanks, yes, sorry, I meant the Modular. Thanks for the reply - good idea.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #12100 by meq123
Ian? Do you have any comment on this?

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com