Problems with Arduino UNO Nixie kit - high voltage

More
3 months 3 days ago #11325 by albert
Thank you :) will try that and let you know if that solves the problem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 days ago #11328 by albert
The MOSFET seems to stay cooler than it did before. So it looks like the problem is solved by running the hv calibration routine. I can now touch the MOSFET for about 5 to 10 seconds before it gets too hot. Does this still indicate a problem or is it normal that the MOSFET still is quite hot? (by far not as hot as before)

Anyways thanks for the help :)

More
3 months 2 days ago #11329 by Ian
It's quite important to run the calibration each time you change the power supply. Glad to hear that it helped.

The MOSFET runs quite hot and it is not unusal to reach 50 or 60 degrees. It varies from MOSFET to MOSFET due to the manufacturing tolerances.

More
3 months 2 days ago - 3 months 2 days ago #11330 by Ty_Eeberfest
You can always put a heat sink on it if you want, BUT remember that the metal tab is connected to one of the pins internally, which means your heat sink must not touch anything.
Heat sink is not necessary but some people like to put one on anyway.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
3 months 12 hours ago #11336 by albert
Hi, thanks for all the help, this helped a lot. I received the MOSFET I ordered and soldered it on the board. It looks like this one stays a lot cooler. I had the clock powered on for about two hours and it was cool enough to touch. I like it :)

Now I'm trying to design a housing to 3d print. Quite a challenge for me. Maybe you know an existing design I can tinker with?

Also, I would like to update the firmware of the wifi time provider to make it more mobile friendly. I didn't know for sure how to upload a new firmware with an arduino, so I ordered a usb to serial thingy from Ali Express. Do you have a guide to do this with the arduino? If not, I will wait for the usb device.

Anyways, thanks for all the help!

More
3 months 3 hours ago #11339 by Ty_Eeberfest
I agree that the power problem is completely solved now. A warm but not smokin' hot MOSFET is just how it should be.

I don't know of any 3D printed enclosures for that particular kit but maybe someone else who is reading here can offer something.

Here is the programming procedure according to the official Arduino website.
create.arduino.cc/projecthub/harshmanguk...h-arduino-uno-efb05f
There are plenty of other sites with similar instructions that may be a bit less verbose and get right to the point.
Search term: program esp8266 with arduino

If you are going to be reprogramming things just keep in mind that the clock program on the UNO and the WiFi program on the ESP-01 must both be the same revision or weird things will happen. Best to update both at the same time.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com