On biquinary tubes..

More
1 month 1 week ago #10717 by BS_Jim
On biquinary tubes.. was created by BS_Jim
I was reading on the builders' forum and Ty had said something to the effect that biquinaries were not compatible with Ian's kits. I have a set of IN-4's that I was going to use to replace the IN-1's in an earlier build of Ian's classic nixie kit. I was under the impression that the 2 anodes could be connected and they could be run in a conventional clock, seeing as they have individual cathode connections. Am I mistaken? I haven't used any biquinary tubes before.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #10718 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic On biquinary tubes..
IN-4 is not exactly a biquinary tube. It's more like a normal tube that "oh by the way you could use it biquinary too". It's a weird animal.

So yes you can use it in its non-biquinary configuration with Ian's kits. Take a good look here:
www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/data/in-4/in-4-sh2.htm
for how to handle the anodes. Tying the 2 anodes together is apparently not the right way to do it.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BS_Jim

More
1 month 1 week ago #10720 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic On biquinary tubes..
Thanks Ty. I have seen that page. That site comes up every time I do a search for a nixie datasheet and is quite the resource. I assume you were talking about the other biquinary tubes that have common cathodes for 2 digits apiece in the other post.

The main reason I haven't tried it yet is because of it's reputation for early failure due to it being a non-doped tube. Unfortunately the IN-1's currently in the clock also have the same reputation. It seems every week I was disconnecting a digit in that clock because of inter-electrode shorts. It has become rather useless with many digits disconnected so I just unplugged it until I found something to replace the IN-1's.

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #10721 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic On biquinary tubes..
That is an outstanding site. It belongs to Dieter of Nocrotec.

Yes I was referring to actual biquinary tubes in my post, such as ZM1032 (and many others like it). I don't really consider IN-4 to be a biquinary tube but that's kind of just semantics. Maybe we can call it a "biquinary optional" tube? B)

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
1 month 1 week ago #10723 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic On biquinary tubes..
You just need to leave the middle anode unconnected.

;)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com