Clarification needed on the many versions, revs, and releases

More
3 weeks 9 hours ago #10505 by Froula
I find myself confused by the terminology used to describe the various clock hardware revisions and code versions.

It seems like things are now broadly divided into "v1" and "v2" hardware. The v1 seems to use RGB LEDs, where the v2 boards use Neopixels addressable LEDs. There may be other differences.

Then within "v1" hardware I see references to Classic Rev4, Classic Rev5, All In One IN-14 and Arduino All In On Shield. Are all of these variations of "v1" hardware? Does that mean there is a "v1, Rev. 5" board?

Within the "v1" boards, there are software revisions (54, 55, 56, etc) that seem to be identified as such only in the code itself, but not in the repositories. Also, there seems to be no way to retrieve and older v1 software revision from the new or old repositories.

Are these correct assumptions. Just trying to figure out the correct terminology here.

Best regards,

Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 9 hours ago #10506 by Ian
So, the key to understanding what clock runs what software is really the Manuals page where you can find a link to the repository and either a V1 or a V2 tag:

www.nixieclock.biz/Manuals.html

but fundamentally you are right in your assumption that the basic root difference is the RGBs. Using NeoPixels freed up two GPIOs which were used for a PIR input and a driver for the decimal points.

ALL OF THE software versions between V1 and V2 work on all boards of that version. There are no special cases. That's the good news. If you have a Classic Rev4, Classic Rev5 or All In One, they all run exactly the same code.

For the tags, if you go into the "commits" view, you can find the tags:

If you see a tag like "v56" that is for the 6 digit code. If you see "v456" that means it is for the 4 digit code.

I think that's about it.
Attachments:

More
3 weeks 9 hours ago #10507 by Froula
Got it! That helps a lot. I use Github and am a bit unfamiliar with Bitbucket.

Of course, I'm running my own homebrew 6-tube v1 version, constructed from the open source schematics and using an external WIFI ESP8266 development board module, but I could see that the code for all of the v1 6-tube boards was the same, or appeared to be.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this. I had missed the Commit tags.

Best,

Don

More
3 weeks 8 hours ago #10509 by Froula
I should mention that the latest v1 version 56 codes runs perfectly well on my homebrew hardware with the RTC module. I compile in the Arduino IDE for an Atmega328p, extract the non-bootloader hex code, and burn it directly to a bare Atmega328p chip with manually set fuses for reasonable brownout values and external 16MHz crystal operation.

That part works perfectly.

Just trying to figure out my ESP-12E errors for the Wifi module code. I use the board with the latest libraries for other projects with no issues.

Don

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com