Modular Nixie Clock Rev3 keeps restarting

More
2 years 2 months ago #10495 by Ty_Eeberfest
Wow. After Ian brought the discussion back to the crystal I was feeling a bit foolish for pursuing the MOSFET line of troubleshooting for so long, because 1) we've seen a similar issue caused by crystal & caps before, and 2) we all know "MOSFETs don't fail that way" right? Lol. I guess they do fail that way after all. I take no credit for the solution of the problem, I'm merely confused and amused! :S

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #10496 by Ian
Hey Ty, that's the great thing about this: You never stop learning! Thanks for insisting about the MOSFET, please have a bit of credit!

Hats off...

More
2 years 2 months ago #10497 by Ian
Just reviewing the "rmcrae" thread, and it appears that the MOSFET was the problem there as well. I recently changed to IRF640 from IRF840, and it appears to me that the IRF640 might be a bit more fragile than the bullet-proof 840. It has the advantage of a lower Rds, which means that it does not generate heat, but on the other hand, it seems to be more of a problem for failures.

I wonder if it is an ESD problem? I don't ask people to take any special precautions, but that might be a problem.

More
2 years 2 months ago #10498 by jjansen

Ian wrote: Would you send it to me? I'll pay the postage... Just put it into an envelope taped to a piece of cardboard. Nothing special. Thanks if you can.

Sure, please let me know to which address I can send it.

Thanks guys for the support! I really like this approach with some trial and error via a forum.

More
2 years 2 months ago #10499 by jjansen
Thanks to your help; the preliminary result

More
2 years 2 months ago #10500 by Ian
Nice. Clean elegant lines!

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com