ESP01 will not find Clock, but sees RTC module

More
5 days 14 hours ago #10208 by gerritv
Hi
So far:
I built the Rev6 kit for 4 digits. Powers up, 170V is ok, etc. 3.3V is also ok
I programmed an ESP01 that I had, with Ian's help to fix some configuration for the PUYA flash memory.
I can http into the ESP01, set parameters and power down/up to verify that is remembers the configuration.

What is will not do is find the Clock module. The newest WiFiTime Keeper code conveniently tells you what I2C ports it finds, finds the RTC module if I have it connected but never the Clock itself.
I did some tracing with a logic analyzer but can't see anything that helps me figure out what is wrong. The bi-directional level translators are apparently working since I can see the same data on both sides of them.

Any hints???
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 days 13 hours ago #10209 by Ty_Eeberfest

gerritv wrote: Hi
I can http into the ESP01, set parameters and power down/up to verify that is remembers the configuration.

Hmmm. Aside from the indication on the WiFi Module's status page, what other evidence do you have that it can't see the clock? I ask because you say it remembers your parameter settings (making an assumption here that you mean clock parameters, not just WiFi credentials and time server info, which are stored on the ESP). All clock parameters are saved on the clock, and a classic sign of ESP not talking to clock is that the clock parameters return to default after a power down.

Have you tried setting some clock parameters from the WiFi module that have readily visible effects? Perhaps try setting the backlight LEDs to solid red or something and see if they change?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
5 days 13 hours ago #10210 by gerritv
My bad, I should have clarified that the WiFi parameters are saved but not the clock ones. With the new WiFi firmware there is an explicit message if the ESP01 can't talk with the Clock itself.

More
4 days 23 hours ago #10213 by Ian
Did you use 160MHz as the frequency for the CPU? In the past there were stability problems when using 80MHz, but they showed up after running for a little while.

More
4 days 23 hours ago #10214 by Ian
Ah, another thing: Is the clock running as slave on the port 105? (0x69) instead of 104 as older firmware versions did. If the clock and the RTC are both trying to use 104, you will have problems.

More
2 days 13 hours ago #10220 by gerritv
Hi
I am not sure what address the Clock itself is using, it is one that you programmed for me with 4-digit code for my order of 2019 Apr 3.

The ESP01 is set for 160mhz, full erase on programming.
If I connect the RTC the Status page finds:
Found I2C slave (24xx EEPROM on RTC) 87
Found I2C slave (unknown) 95
Found I2C slave (DS3231 RTC) (default) 104

during its scan of the I2C bus. 95 dec is 5F hex.
I also re-soldered the connections on the I2C related translators and resistors, to no avail. Also tried the full reset as discussed in another thread.

If I repower the Clock with RTC connected the Clock never tries to access the RTC

Should I program another 328 with 4-digit clock .ino and try that? The present one does run the 170V generator so not dead.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com