Glitching out and mosfet overheating.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #10107 by daddyfredregill
But would 9v power supply help? Instead of 12 or does that have nothing to do with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #10108 by Ty_Eeberfest
I missed that part. 9 volt power supply will make the regulator run a little cooler, but will have no real effect on the MOSFET. The system will compensate for the lower VIN by keeping the MOSFET gate on longer, thus the same amount of energy gets dissipated across the MOSFET. Also, my experience with trying 9 volts power supplies is that the HV calibration never reaches target. I use a 12 volt supply. And again, a warm MOSFET is not a problem - a smoking hot one is. If you can touch it it's fine.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #10109 by daddyfredregill
I replaced the mosfet and ran the clock for about 4 hours. I also managed to get a thermal camera and monitor the PCB. The clock ran stable with no problems and the mosfet never reached above 115 degrees Fahrenheit. So it appears it is working fine now as long as you don't use magic hands on it. I will keep testing and Report any other real problems here.

Thank you for everyone's help.

Here's a question for Ian.

Will you have a revision of the PCB or circuit design to reduce the interference? Or is that something that cannot be helped
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by daddyfredregill.

More
6 months 1 week ago #10183 by Ian
Just a follow up: I did manage to provoke this on a board, but have not been able to make boards freak out in a deterministic manner. I think I need your magic hands...

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com