Glitching out and mosfet overheating.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10093 by Phil_Mod3
Correct me if I'm wrong:
You can't cause the glitch if you touch only the mosfet?
Theory: Since the tab of the mosfet is connected to drain, it'd see HV spikes of the inductor. I think the pulse could be strong enough that it'll cause trouble if you touch other parts, although the resistance caused by your body is high.

I'll test it tonight with my clock :-D
The following user(s) said Thank You: daddyfredregill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10094 by Ian
You have magic hands! :laugh:

Try cleaning the flux. I don't really have any other ideas except to change the crystal circuitry (load caps and crystal).

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #10095 by daddyfredregill
I looked at the flux I was using it and it appears to be old. Isopropyl alcohol doesn't seem to cut the film very well. Do you have any other suggestions for a flux cleaner I could use? Could I use dish soap and water is it okay to get the board wet?

Also, would tou be able to supply me with a crystal and load caps?
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by daddyfredregill.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10096 by Ian
Toothbrush and alcohol. Not your current one, an old one is best.

Please avoid water. No acetone under any circumstances.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #10097 by Ty_Eeberfest
I must be magic too! :laugh: I just did some experiments on my Modular Rev. 3 board and it seems Phil is right - my body passes enough current to really mess things up if I do the 2 handed touch. Right hand touching the tab of the MOSFET, left hand poking around. When I touched near the crystal the circuit crashed much like in your video. In addition to flashing random numbers and then blanking out, it came back up doing an HV calibration and the ESP module had forgotten my time server config. Mayhem. It appears there was no permanent damage - just blew it's mind temporarily.

Conclusion: finger poking bad. B)

I'm unclear as to whether your clock glitches out only when you are touching it or whether it does it on its own sometimes. If it's doing it on its own I'd recommend getting a new crystal and maybe even a new controller chip from Ian. There was another thread a while ago where a bad crystal was suspected. The thread ended without follow-up so I'm not sure what the solution ended up being.

Flux removal is still highly recommended but not quite as much of a priority now. I don't know how effective dish soap & water would be. If you try it use distilled water, readily available at the food market, and try to keep it off the component side of the board. Better would be to get a can of flux remover if you can. Here in the USA it's still legal, I have bought it at local electronics shops and at Fry's.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Ty_Eeberfest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil_Mod3

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10098 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay, I'll defer to Ian on this one - no water. I've used distilled water as part of my routine for getting old dull looking copper clad perf boards ready for starting a build, but I'm not so sure I ever tried it on a populated board.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com