WiFi time provider with NTP support.

More
1 week 1 day ago #9719 by Stackerlee
Mike!
It works as described!
The clock is found on I2C bus. (I have ESP8266 + DS3231 with V1 code).
Settings can be changed, at least after pressing "Set" once. Before that some of the settings are greyed out.
"Communicating with: NixieFirmwareV1, I2C v54" is shown.
There's one little issue though. At restart the time is shown in UTC (I'm CET) on clock as well as in status, even though correct (my) settings are set.
"Confirming" the settings without changing anything by pressing "Set" in Time Server settings resolves it. To my understanding this means the clock is set one hour back (in my case) if the power goes out and comes back.
Has this anything to do with the DST bug fix?

Else, everything seems fine! I like the little changes, "Current status" page makes more sense now (seconds instead of ms and so on).
Let's see what happens 2019-03-31 02:00 (DST start).

OTA works fine too!

Really appreciate the contribution!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #9725 by MikeS
Having some entries "dimmed" so you can't set them (e.g. scroll back is off, you can't change steps) was part of Ian's code. I'll probably remove that and let you set things anyway. I had the same, had to do it twice, once to enable a feature, second time to set the particulars.

Not sure about the UTC thing - it's working for me. What POSIX string do you have set? I'll see if I can duplicate. Does it perhaps correct itself if you wait a minute or two for the next time the module updates the clock, or if you click the "full update now" link on the status page?

The DST bug fix was that the library would switch to DST at the wrong time, but that would only show up within a day of the time change.
Last edit: 1 week 1 day ago by MikeS.

More
1 week 20 hours ago - 1 week 14 hours ago #9731 by Stackerlee
Thanks!
The "dimmed" entries are not really a problem for me.
The UTC thing can be.
My settings are:
se.pool.ntp.org
CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3
time-zone-server.scapp.io/getTime/Europe/Stockholm
It doesn't seem to correct itself, at least not within an hour or so.
At restart it sets the time correct according to the DS3231 but as soon as NTP time is fetched it changed to UTC. Until the settings are are confirmed once more then it's correct CET. I think that's how it behaves with my settings.
The ezTime library is version 0.7.9
Last edit: 1 week 14 hours ago by Stackerlee.

More
1 week 13 hours ago #9733 by MikeS
I'm not seeing it. Configured same as you, right now it's 08:xx AM EST, 13:xx UTC.

After a power cycle, this is what the module reports on the status page, which is correct:
Current time source	NTP
Current time	Tuesday, 12-Feb-2019 14:17:40 CET
NTP server	se.pool.ntp.org
NTP status	Last poll valid
Uptime	0 days, 0 hours, 0 mins, 29 secs

I'll play with it some more, but I'm traveling this week, so not much time.

More
1 week 5 hours ago #9735 by Ian
Hi Mike, my horror project at work looks like it might have gone over the edge, and I started on the process of merging the code, I guess it will take me a few days to get my head around it fully. Of course, I'm liking it a lot... :-)

Just to coordinate efforts a bit:

In the V1 repository, there is a branch with WiFi Manager as the way of setting the initial login up. I guess that thing will be the next to be included.

On my next generation code base (used in my ESP only clocks, not yet released), I have done a lot of work round using JSON configuration on SPIFFS. This doesn't work by default on all ESP-01s, but I have a patched driver for the flash chip alternatives.

However, I'm starting on the V2 code on a new branch. I'm using version v355mjs.9. Is that the right one?

I'll happily add you as a contributor to the repository if you want...

Thanks for all the work.

More
6 days 11 hours ago #9736 by Stackerlee
Strange. I get this: (correct local time is 16:55 CET)
Current time source NTP
Current time Wednesday, 13-Feb-2019 15:55:57 UTC
NTP server se.pool.ntp.org
NTP status Last poll valid
Time server URL time-zone-server.scapp.io/getTime/Europe/Stockholm
Uptime 0 days, 0 hours, 3 mins, 27 secs
after a restart of ESP from web gui or power cycle.
But now it doesn't seem to happen every time.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com