Problem with ESP8206-01

More
11 months 1 week ago #9204 by Ty_Eeberfest
That debug output looks a little strange, but I think it is just something to do with your Language and Local settings. When the WiFi Module is operating normally it sends periods (full stops / dots / Unicode 002E) to the serial port continuously when in debug. On a device set up for EN:US locale it looks like ....... but might look different on your device?

So I think it is working okay and I can not yet explain why there is no NixieTimeModule SSID being found. I will ask Ian to read this thread. Maybe he has some good idea.

Just to be sure: is your iPad or phone set up to look for 2.4GHz WiFi as well as 5GHz? The ESP is 2.4GHz, a device looking for only 5GHz will never find it.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #9205 by Ty_Eeberfest
Something else you can check, just to be sure the module is running correctly:

With Debug on, connect with the Serial Monitor.

Confirm the program is running (same serial output as you show in your screen shot)

Reset the module by grounding the Reset pin or pressing Reset button on your programmer if it has one.

Module should transmit something on the serial port that looks like the attached screen shot.

Attachments:

More
11 months 1 week ago #9216 by Novak
Replied by Novak on topic Problem with ESP8206-01
Problem solved. Bad setting of Crystal Frequency. I had 40 Mhz and should be 26 Mhz. After this fix and reloading, the module started working properly. Sends SSID: "NixieTimeModule". Can join. Tomorrow I will try to get him in the clock and hopefully everything will work. I did not want the SMD version of the Regulator and the I2C level shifter. I changed the original SMD - BSS138 and replaced it BS170. I hope it will work this way. Thank you for your help.
Attachments:

More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #9217 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm glad to gear you got it working! I completely missed that setting - sorry about that. I tried it here and it did exactly what you described. When I set crystal frequency to 40MHz everything appears to work normally but the NixieTimeModule network does not appear. Interesting.

EDIT: I just discovered that when I set the crystal frequency wrong I get the same weird characters in the debug output as you show in your screen shot. It seems that when the crystal frequency is wrong the serial baud rate is also wrong. If I set the Serial Monitor to 74880 baud the output looks normal (dots). Interestingly:
74880 / 115200 = 0.65
26 / 40 = 0.65
Coincidence? I think not.

Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
11 months 1 week ago #9219 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Problem with ESP8206-01
They keep fiddling about with the options available in the Arduino IDE. I've started tracking the correct ones at the top of the code in the header. In fact there is a note about the 26MHz crystal there.

It is also important to set the CPU to 160MHz, otherwise the I2C can go out of spec, and you get communications failures.

More
11 months 1 week ago #9227 by Novak
Replied by Novak on topic Problem with ESP8206-01
In the code header I found only the following settings:
Generic ESP8266 Module,
Flash: 80MHz,
CPU: 160MHz,
Flash Mode: DIO,
Upload speed: 115200,
Flash size: 1M (no SPIFFS),
Reset method: ck, Disabled, none
Erase Flash: All contents
That's why I set only the parameters listed...
I'm glad for this great project. Something new I have learned. I bought a plate from you. I want to buy another three. Thank you again.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com