2x Rare Fiber Optic Incandescent Displays

• Stuckey
  • Stuckey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Entrepreneur, Nerd, Caffeine addict
More
8 years 3 months ago #2447 by Stuckey
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

Up for sale is a set of two 2-digit incandescent fiber optic display modules, enough to make a 4 digit clock. All incandescent number displays are rare, but fiber optic displays are so rare that they might as well not even exist. These are very unusual, and I have never seen displays like this come up for sale before. Each of these displays has two seven segment digits which are made up of bundles of tiny fiber optic cables. The segments are lit by strange looking pin-shaped incandescent bulbs in an aluminum block. As shown in the second picture, the bulbs can be removed and replaced. In the photo, I am holding one over a blue LED to show what the displays look like lit up. These are very high quality parts and can be fully disassembled as shown for use in many types of projects. The numbers in these modules are very tiny, the digits are 7mm high and the entire modules are 9x16x24mm. The displays are new, not pulls, and ready to be the centerpiece of an awesome electronics project.

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2466 by Sine1040
Construction wise they look very similar to these :

www.tubeclockdb.com/forum/eBay-Finds/2284-What-is-this.html

Only with a bit better designed lamp holders ( one that doesn't require a soldering iron to exchange the lamps )

• Stuckey
  • Stuckey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Entrepreneur, Nerd, Caffeine addict
More
8 years 3 months ago #2469 by Stuckey
Those displays came to mind too. I would have loved to get some byt $60/2 is a little more than I wanted to spend to experiment with them.

BTW, I see the auction ended. Did someone here end up buying them?

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

More
8 years 3 months ago #2482 by AnubisTTP
Interesting display, though I do not think I could stomach paying more than 20 - 25 dollars for one. I have a display similar to this, though it is made by MSC. It's a five digit module with removable driver modules for each of the digits. The actual fiber optic covers are alphanumeric, but they are epoxied into an aluminum frame that irritatingly blocks access to the segments that are not used for seven-segment numbers. The bulbs are soldered into a PCB... the can not be easily replaced like the bulbs in the display above.

Attachments:

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com