New to me. 100x100 display

More
8 years 4 months ago #2325 by Stngray
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 4 months ago #2329 by Stuckey
Replied by Stuckey on topic New to me. 100x100 display
Nice find! I wonder what something like that was used for.

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey
More
8 years 4 months ago #2352 by AnubisTTP
This display is in the same family as the IGGI 32x32 displays that appear on Ebay periodically, they were used in place of CRTs for text display on some Soviet computers. The supply voltage is about 240 volts DC, more than a nixie, but well within the realm of possibility. The pixels are wired exactly as you would think, 100 rows on the horizontal wires and 100 rows on the vertical wires. The US made similar devices, I have a military teletype machine in my living room that uses a huge neon bitmapped display for output. The teletype display has 80 5x8 pixel characters for a total of 3200 dots, I pity the person who tries to build a driver for such a thing!
More
8 years 4 months ago #2353 by Stuckey
You woudn't happen to have a photo of that teletype machine, would you? :)

www.ineedcaffeine.com
twitter.com/brianstuckey
More
8 years 3 months ago #2449 by AnubisTTP
No photos of the teletype machine but I finally, finally, sat down and got around to taking some pictures of the crazy neon matrix display inside it. This one is made by Burroughs and can display 480 5x7 characters, or 16,800 individual dots. The display tube uses self-scan technology, it is basically 12 forty character self scan displays combined into a single envelope. The display is socketed in the same manner as a leadless carrier ceramic IC, the contacts are printed on the back of the tube envelope and the tube mates with a spring-loaded boot that makes the electrical connections. The tube even has an integral electric heater so it can operate properly in extreme temperatures.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2471 by Stuckey
That is an amazing piece of neon technology. What are your plans for it? RSS ticker? Work of art?

www.ineedcaffeine.com
twitter.com/brianstuckey
Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com