Need help with my IN-18 Chronotronix Nixie Tube Clock

More
9 months 1 week ago #9318 by cowboy
I have no idea where to ask this question, but this seems like a decent starting point.

I bought my IN-18 Chronotronix Nixie Tube Clock from nixieclock.net over ten years ago. It's serial number 001! But I lost the DC adapter and have no idea what the voltage or polarity is. I think it's 12v, but I'm not sure. I don't want to kill the clock, in case there's no reverse voltage protection.

Does anyone happen to have (or have had) this clock and know what the DC input voltage and polarity are?

Thanks!

- Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #9319 by Ty_Eeberfest
I can't answer your question directly but I can give you a pointer in hopefully the right direction. Chronotronix clocks were designed and built by Dieter Wächter, Chronotronix is gone but Dieter now runs Nocrotec and can probably be reached through his site at www.nocrotec.com .

His personal site tube-tester.com is also still alive and from that site is a link to lots of info on what might be your clock: www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/Nix...lock/nixie-clock.htm

I have a Chronotronix clock from about the same time period (2007 I think) but it's not the IN-18 model. It's a model that uses the B-5025 biquinary tubes. For what it's worth, it runs on 12Vdc center-positive.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
9 months 1 week ago #9325 by Ian
If you can recognize the clock from the link Ty gave you, we can figure it out. The schematic there says there there is polarity protection (rather badly implemented, IMO) and it looks like 12VDC or 9VDC is the right option.

More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #9335 by cowboy
Thanks, all. I emailed Dieter and he gave me the info I was looking for:

12VDC output regulated
1 A output
Plug: 5.5 mm - 2.5 mm inner diameter
Center contact positive

Unfortunately, one of the colon neons has burned out. Anyone know what would be a good replacement / where I can get one? I'm in the USA.

Thanks again,
Ben
Last edit: 9 months 1 week ago by cowboy. Reason: fixed a typo

More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #9336 by Ty_Eeberfest
Digikey has a decent selection of neon bulbs in stock and I imagine Mouser does too.

www.digikey.com/short/jv8p5m

I don't know which one of those bulbs is right for your clock but I think there's enough info there to figure out a match. Best to replace all the colon bulbs rather than just the failed one since the new bulbs will no doubt be brighter and/or slightly different color than the old ones.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
9 months 1 week ago #9349 by judge
In reference to another thread "The switching power supply generates 150 volts DC" :-)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com