Drobo S v2?

More
10 years 1 day ago #1176 by bcoggs
Replied by bcoggs on topic Re: Drobo S v2?
Well my 2nd QNap arrived and I am replicating about 600GB onto it. Going at about 10GB/hour. That is without regular file serving turned off. I'm very plesed with Qnap has gone; Nice UI w/lots of turnkey features for the layuser. But they also let you ssh into the box and have your way with it.

I'll have to try out the encrypted drive feature for backups; That way, I can detach those and send them off-site for safe keeping in case of meteor strike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #2458 by ChrisJohnson00TA
Replied by ChrisJohnson00TA on topic Re: Drobo S v2?
I know, I know.. OLD thread..

Did you end up buying something?

If you haven't.. I'd heavily recommend against buying Drobo. I'm a computer geek and I thought that Drobo was cool for all the reasons you mentioned. In fact, I was so sold on the idea that I pushed several clients to buy Pro's. I ended up with 8 Pro's at 6 client locations and have had a 50% failure rate in 12 months. 4 dead in 12 months at different locations.

They were all replaced under warranty, but that doesn't help my clients being down for a day or two at a time.

Forget it.

Backup your drobo... you've been warned! :p

I have a QNAP TS-659 and have since sold 4 more to different clients.. not one has even hiccuped. They are FAST. Much faster than the drobo even in iSCSI setup. I have a iSCSI connection to my QNAP and attach it to my main system for off-system storage. You can run rsync and a huge number of tools on qnap that you just can't do with a drobo.

• Stuckey
  • Stuckey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Entrepreneur, Nerd, Caffeine addict
More
9 years 4 months ago #2470 by Stuckey
Replied by Stuckey on topic Re: Drobo S v2?
Yea, the thread is a little old. I did end up getting the Drobo for various reasons and no problems so far.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of problems did you see? Hardware failure? Virtual volume corruption? Something else?

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

More
9 years 4 months ago #2484 by ChrisJohnson00TA
Replied by ChrisJohnson00TA on topic Re: Drobo S v2?
Every one of them has been hardware failure followed by panic phone calls to drobo to have them over night new ones to my customers.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com