TurboHobby just release a new clock single digit vacuum fluorescent clock. In the near future he will be releasing a kit version of this clock as well. I'm a big fan of his single digit Nixie clock and I expect this one to be great too.
Good news, everyone. Jürgen Grau just emailed me his latest version of the enclosure for Kosbo's round VFD clock. Below is a near-final render of what the enclosure will look like. The enclosure should go on sale towards the end of July. At that point, you can buy them directly from him or through Kosbo.com
This clock is based on Vacuum Fluorescent Display tubes. They are a seven-segment based display like most led clocks but these are quite a bit different. For starters, this clock costs nearly 100x as much as your normal department store clock. The digits have a beautiful cyan color and the design of the tube allows you to see the inner workings. Image and brief description are from Nocrotec
- Digit height: 0.6″ (15mm)
- 12/24h mode
- Date in configuration DD.MM.YY or MM.DD.YY
- Leading zero suppression: The leading zero can be blanked or shown
- Cross fading: different modes to fade the digits from one number to the next
- Alarm clock
- Power down mode: tubes and supply can be totally switched off for a user programmed period in order to save energy and increase life expectancy of the tubes
- 12VDC input voltage
- Time is battery buffered when no line power is available; battery will last for more than 10 years
- User settings are always stored
- Case made of massive cherry wood and shiny black anodized aluminum as used for high-end audio equipment.
I am a big fan of Nocrotec's work and while doing my daily eBay search, I discovered that Dieter released a new VFD clock based on the GE-100 tubes. I have no idea where he finds sources for some of the odd tubes but I have never encountered these in person let alone in a clock for sale. These are easily the most elegant VFD tubes I've seen. The individual elements are rounded giving the display a much softer look than normal seven segment devices. Other than that, it appears to have the same specs as his other devices. At $259, this is a solid buy. Be sure to check out the links below for more information.