Flickering on Wemos Nixie display (IN-12 tubes.)

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11326 by BobM
Well I've gone back and checked things out again.

Pin 10 of the 595 is at +5V. No noise that I can see.

Pin 11...

Pin 12 shows....

Pin 13 is at 0V, again no detectable noise.

Pin 14 ....

Thank you,

Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11327 by Ty_Eeberfest
Maybe Ian can spot something out of the ordinary in those scope shots. To my eye they look just fine.

If I had this thing here on my bench, I think I'd clip my scope probe on to Pin 11 for a while. I'd adjust the sweep rate and trigger to get a trace that looks like your scope shot and get it as rock steady as I possibly could. Then I'd just watch and wait for the display to flicker. If the scope trace jumps or loses sync or shows something less than 8 pulses in a row, coincident with the flicker, that would tend to confirm Ian's theory that the CPU is getting overburdened and is starting to "stutter". It might also be interesting to watch Pin 12 for a while and see if the time between pulses changes significantly when the display flickers.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
6 months 1 week ago #11344 by BobM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try and get round investigating pins 11 and 12 in more depth in the next few days.

Ian, have you been able to observe the display flickering? It would be interesting to know if there's just a problem with my clock or something more fundamental.

Thanks to all.

Bob

More
6 months 1 week ago #11348 by Ian
I had some flickering intermittently at the beginning when I was designing the clock, but adjusted the balance between the Wifi and the display management to give the Wifi a chance to step in during the time *between* digits or between impressions and that solved it for me (or at least seemed to).

Perhaps I will make the display handling interrupt driven - I need to investigate that. It should be possible with the ESP, which is pretty advanced for these sorts of features.

More
6 months 1 day ago #11389 by Ian
Just a quick update to this: I am working on a new firmware version with an event driven display update. I have managed to sketch out the important parts and will work on integrating it this week. I hope that this will solve the problems once and for all.

I have noticed that the IN-2 tubes are much more sensitive to flicker and am using these as the "canaries" for this probkem.

More
6 months 1 day ago #11394 by BobM
Thank you Ian, your efforts are much appreciated. If you need any software testing done please feel free to contact me. I have the means to flash the Wemos D1.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com