Wemos programming

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #11055 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Wemos programming
If you already have Arduino IDE and Python on your Windows system then you probably already have ESPTool.py as well. It's probably located at
C:\Users\Ty\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.5.2\tools\esptool
(substitute your username for Ty)
You can then run it from the command line using the command shown in the readme. However, for Windows, you have to change the -cp /dev/tty$1 to whatever port Windows assigned to your WeMos (see Device Manager -> Ports)

The other, probably easier option is to get a Windows build of nodemcu-pyflasher from THIS REPO . It is a stand-alone Windows .exe with a GUI that's pretty self explanatory. I have not used it extensively, being more of a command line guy, but I have tried it a few times and it seems to work fine. It does not require installation - just download the .exe and run it - and it has no dependencies.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #11056 by Ty_Eeberfest
To clarify, if using esptool.py from the command line on Windows, you use Device Manager to find out what COM port Windows has assigned to your WeMos. Then replace -cp /dev/tty$1 with the COM port.

If the WeMos was on COM2 it would look like this:

esptool -vv -cd nodemcu -cb 921600 -cp COM2 -ca 0x0 -cz 0x400000 -ca 0x00000 -cf <firmware_bin_file>

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #11057 by Dudinu
Replied by Dudinu on topic Wemos programming
Thank you so much!
I think i succeeded, i use NodeMCU-PyFlasher-4.0-x64.exe and the program reported a successful attempt.
May be later i will try the other solution, using the epstool.py, in Python environment, just to learn something new. Have a great evening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Duane

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #11058 by Ty_Eeberfest
Excellent! Since NodeMCU-PyFlasher-4.0-x64.exe reported success, the clock should work now.

I don't have a WeMos 4 digit here but I do have a WeMos DA-2000 clock. Before I posted my first reply to you I grabbed a new up to date copy of the NodeMCU program and loaded a .bin into my WeMos. I got the success message, stuck the WeMos back in the clock and it was all good.

More
4 months 1 week ago #11575 by Duane
Replied by Duane on topic Wemos programming
Dudinu,
Thanks for mentioning NodeMCU-PyFlasher-4.0-x64.exe; it was a very easy way to program the ESP8266 with the BIN file.

I had lots of snags trying to program it on Windows with the Arduino IDE/Python. Ian, I would recommend that you document this in the firmware readme file for Windows users.

- Bill

More
4 months 1 week ago #11578 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Wemos programming
After the initial set up, you should be able to update firmware with OTA. This is way easier.

What problems did you have with Windows, apart from it being Windows? It should be easier, that's what they always tell me...

Part of the problem is that they are always changing things in the Arduino IDE. Every few weeks they do something.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com