Username Password: Remember me

"Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer

"Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #1

• Mr.Nixie
  • ( User )
  • Founding Member
I'm just designing an easy to build thermometer kit based on the Russian IN-9 bargraph Nixie tube.
My intention to do such a thing was a photo I've found on the internet:

Now the very first prototype is ready. The goal was to use only easy to understand analogue technique, no pic and no processor. So measurement can only done with a multimeter.

Schematic.gif

The thermometer is powered via 5V from one or two USB ports (depending on the PC's power capacity, sometimes a power Y-cable is needed) or from a cheap external USB loader.

See here a video from this prototype and also some photos

Thanks to the big size of the base I can used "hrugged" electronic parts which are not as filigree as used in my clocks. So assembling the kit is very easy.

Edit:
Prices and availability - The kit will cost 79 EUR plus shipping (10 EUR for overseas) fully completed incl. case, scale, IN-9 tube and USB-cable and I hope that I can deliver the first kits at the beginning of April.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Mr.Nixie.

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #2

• Beast Lee
  • ( User )
  • Founding Member
  • - - - - NiXiE nUt - - - -
Very kOoL, when will you be taking orders for this...?
"It has to have an ending to exist" - Beast Lee
"If it doesn't have a V8, it's not a sport" - Beast Lee

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #3

• neonglass
  • ( User )
  • Founding Member
Put me on the list for one. Could one add an external probe for outside temperature?

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #4

• Mr.Nixie
  • ( User )
  • Founding Member
The termometer has a second input, but actual the circuity isn't able to display temperatures lower than 2°C.
The measurement range of this input is actual +30°...+60°C and can be used e.g. to monitor the processor temperature of the PC.
But I can do a redesign for an extended temperature range on the second input, displayed on the left scale, let's say -20°...+40°C

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #5

• michail1
  • ( User )
  • Founding Member
  • Nixie
where is mine?

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #6

• Mr.Nixie
  • ( User )
  • Founding Member
Hhm, it seems that I have to redesign the step up converter (5V --> 125V). It generates heat, not too much for a Nixie clock but too much for a thermometer with build in temperatur sensor. So the displayed temperature will be around 3°C too much when powered on for a while.

These modifications will also lower or disable the switching noise generated by the inductor...

The transforming of the sensor's output voltage (100 mV @ °C, eg. 200mV @ 20°C) to the display graph lenght however is extrem exact

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #7

• Stuckey
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
  • Entrepreneur, Nerd, Caffeine addict
Jürgen sent me this work-in-progress photo a few days ago. But, I'm bad about posting things quickly

"For a full length bargraph now the circuity draws only around 300mA @5V --> 1.5VA and this creates 10mA @ 120V --> 1.2VA (only 0.3VA losses); but I must also connect the MC34063A to the voltage doubler circuity (the flying IC "ICL7660" with the two diodes and the two capacitors) and not only the new BC639/640 driver stage for the MosFet...as the converter will shut down when the supply voltage is lower than exact 5V and it should normally just work at 4V."

P16_02_11_21.jpg
"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #8

• michail1
  • ( User )
  • Founding Member
  • Nixie
I now see where I got wrong with all my kits. you see, I was under the belief that the components were supposed to be soldered to the circuit board.

Michail

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 5 months ago #9

• Mr.Nixie
  • ( User )
  • Founding Member
In Germany this helter-skelter up of the board is called a "wired hedge-hog"

Re: "Nixietherm" IN-9 bargraph based thermomer 3 years, 4 months ago #10

• GreyFox
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
These are really cool tubes. Does anyone know what the intended application was for these tubes?
Let there be neon light!
Moderators: Accutron
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds