Original '70s Nixie Clock from Germany

More
9 months 1 week ago #10578 by Transaxle
Moin Moin , as we say in the north of Germany to the greeting.:)

I got a Nixie clock as a gift from a friend and as I found out after a lot of googling, old Nixie clocks are very rare.
I wanted to show you this watch.
I don't want to sell it, but I would be interested in its value?
The case is made of aluminum, brushed and anodized.
But see for yourself:

Thanks and greetings
Karsten

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #10580 by Ian
Hi Karsten:

It's hard to put a value on it: It's very nice and it's an original, but the parts used in it are not particularly rare or expensive, even today. It's a collector's piece and must be individually valued, according to taste.

You're right not to want to sell it. :)

More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #10584 by Ty_Eeberfest
Ian said most of what I was thinking. It's a great looking piece but its actual value is very small. Its value to someone who is a collector or just wants that clock because it is cool is "whatever the buyer is willing to pay". Sorry I can't be more precise. It's sort of like art: it is only worth what the market values it at, and the market is small and exclusive.

Yes, just keep it!

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: Too many typos

More
9 months 1 week ago #10585 by Transaxle
Thank you for your answers!
While searching I found a Nixie clock from Longines.
See here:https://www.bukowskis.com/en/auctions/603/124-longines-electronic-nixie-tubes-clock-295-x-120-x-120-mm
It doesn't have a gold case either ...;)
Did it cost now 2.600,-€ because it is from Longines, or because it is an original Nixie clock from that time?
I find my watch also more beautiful ...:)

Thanks and greetings
Karsten

More
9 months 1 week ago #10586 by Ty_Eeberfest
Wow! I did not even know Longines made a Nixie clock. I would like to find out how many were made. I have no idea how much that clock cost new. I know that in the early 1970s one could buy a Nixie Clock for < $US200 (om 1970 money!) if you knew where to look (back pages of electronic hobby magazines mainly) but they were not Longines. Not even Swiss. ;) I am guessing the Longines name had a lot to do with the price that clock went for at auction. Also auctions attract half-crazy wealthy collectors who will pay almost anything to add a nice piece to their collections. And that clock did look nice. Original extras like cases and manuals are always good for raising the price.

More
9 months 1 week ago #10587 by Ty_Eeberfest
Also I would like to add that at this forum most of us are clock builders rather than collectors of old clocks. So our answers might not be the best... B)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com