My New IN-14 Single Digit NIXIE Tube Clock online

More
6 years 5 months ago #5970 by vfdclock
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationMy New IN-14 Single Digit NIXIE Tube Clock online

ebay:

for more information:

vfdclock.jimdo.com

for video:

VFD/NIXIE/OLED DIY

VFDCLOCK.JIMDO.COM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #6014 by Ty_Eeberfest
I bought one of these from you off of eBay a few months ago. The clock was shipped and delivered very quickly. It works pretty much as advertised and I'm reasonably happy. I'd say it's a good clock for the price.

Now then... here are the things I think you need to work on if you decide to produce another batch of these clocks:

- I can hear the 170VDC step-up converter whistling and it's loud enough to be annoying in a quiet room. Maybe run it at a higher frequency?

- Digit fade and cross-fade flicker so badly I can not use them.

- In 12 Hour Mode, midnight is being displayed as "0" but it should be "12". Try:
Display_H = ((Internal_H + 11) % 12) + 1;

- I think the LED color and mode, etc. should be saved just like all other settings when power is turned off.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #6015 by vfdclock
First,thanks for buying this clock.
The clock you bought is just the first version,the new 2.0 version will coming soon.
>- I can hear the 170VDC step-up converter whistling and it's loud enough to be annoying in a quiet room. Maybe run it at a higher frequency?
This is not normal,try to change the USB adapter.Actually I can't here any noice from the PCB stuffs,maybe the sound is from the IN-14 tube.

>- Digit fade and cross-fade flicker so badly I can not use them.
Can you send me a video to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for about how bad the fade shows like?Actually I think it shows smoothly,but for the smooth fade and still be supported in any 8 level brightness is little hard for me to implement very smooth fade. If you need very smooth fade effection,I'll try to minus the brightness level in the next version.

>- In 12 Hour Mode, midnight is being displayed as "0" but it should be "12". Try:Display_H = ((Internal_H + 11) % 12) + 1;
This will be changed in the next version,thanks.

>- I think the LED color and mode, etc. should be saved just like all other settings when power is turned off.
Ok,if you need this function,This will be add to the next version.
Thank a lot,best regards.

BTW:In the next version V2.0,This clock will contain a chargeable Li battery inside,and will be able to display without USB power.

VFD/NIXIE/OLED DIY

VFDCLOCK.JIMDO.COM
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by vfdclock.

More
6 years 3 months ago #6016 by Ty_Eeberfest
>- First,thanks for buying this clock.
The clock you bought is just the first version,the new 2.0 version will coming soon.

You're welcome. I'm happy with it but, because I am a clock maker myself, I thought I should tell you about the things that - in my opinion - could be improved.

>->- I can hear the 170VDC step-up converter whistling and it's loud enough to be annoying in a quiet room. Maybe run it at a higher frequency?
>- This is not normal,try to change the USB adapter.Actually I can't here any noice from the PCB stuffs,maybe the sound is from the IN-14 tube.

I have tried several USB adapters including genuine Apple iPhone charger, generic Chinese adapter, and an actual USB port on a desktop PC. The noise is present with all those power sources but it is not as loud when using the port on the PC. Perhaps the PC's +5v is cleaner... I have not checked the other adapters with a scope yet. The sound is not very loud in any case. I only hear it when the IN-14 tube is lit, when the tube is blank it is silent. The noise is >20KHz, like the sound of the flyback in an analog TV set.

>->- Digit fade and cross-fade flicker so badly I can not use them.
>- Can you send me a video to {deleted} for about how bad the fade shows like?Actually I think it shows smoothly,but for the smooth fade and still be supported in any 8 level brightness is little hard for me to implement very smooth fade. If you need very smooth fade effection,I'll try to minus the brightness level in the next version.

Well... my video attempt looks like your YouTube video - terrible flicker. So I'm not sure it would be useful to send it.

>->- In 12 Hour Mode, midnight is being displayed as "0" but it should be "12". Try:Display_H = ((Internal_H + 11) % 12) + 1;
>- This will be changed in the next version,thanks.

>->- I think the LED color and mode, etc. should be saved just like all other settings when power is turned off.
>- Ok,if you need this function,This will be add to the next version.
Thank a lot,best regards.

Well... it is not super important, but why not? I like my LED to be red, dim and not "breathing" and it's a little annoying when it goes back to breathing blue every time power is interrupted.

>- BTW:In the next version V2.0,This clock will contain a chargeable Li battery inside,and will be able to display without USB power.

That's great, as long as you can still ship by air mail. Not sure how the US feels about Li batteries being air-shipped.

More
6 years 3 months ago #6017 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay - got some better video by using my phone. I am emailing it now.

More
6 years 3 months ago #6018 by vfdclock
1.For the sound
Still saying the sound is not normal,I just checked all of my rest IN-14 clocks,they are all sound less,even put them near my ear.
I was suppose the sound is from the NIXIE tube,because of my new QS30-1 module for arduino,if you send low freq,like 10kHz to the /OE pin to adjust the global brightness,Some tube does sound.
But not in the IN-14 or others Single Digit Clock,the 170VDC step-up converter they all have high freq,at least 200kHz~1.2MHz;
I was wondering,is that posible you send this clock back,Or I send a brand new to you first(with the software updated) to exchange it back to see what has happend on this clock?

> Digit fade and cross-fade flicker so badly I can not use them.
For this fade stuff,It's easy to change,For current version,with 8-level global brightness,I left only 16 level gray scale to do the fade eff,maybe in the next version,I'll try to improve it into 256-level gray scale.

>The LED On/Off state and the pattern mode did not stored in the EEPROM,just because the first a few clocks to the custom for trying,some suggested they always need to turn on the LED when power on,and they need smooth changing LED patern not just one color.So here is the resule,but seems you are not agree.
Actually,the LED pattern and ON/OFF state is controllable in my first version,the auto ON/OFF functions aloso have this setting,but in the final V1.0,all deleted because of some customs' requirements.
Will be add back in the next version.

>The next version of this clock will contain the Li battery function,It's a optional function,For the shipping to the other countries,contains no battery.Customs need to prepare the battery then selfs.

Really thanks for your opinion,I'll try my best to improve the NIXIE clocks I made.
My new 6-tube IN-14 and IN-18 clocks will coming soon,thanks again.

VFD/NIXIE/OLED DIY

VFDCLOCK.JIMDO.COM

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com