Nixie tubes not lighting, but backlight LEDs are.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #11258 by RangerOfTheOrder
Let me preface by saying I know very little about nixie tubes. I've always wanted a nixie clock because they're cool as hell. I bought an IN-14 kit from Ebay. Putting it together wasn't hard, the only challenge was getting the tubes into the holders. When I plugged it in the LEDs under the tubes lit up but the tubes didn't. I inspected all the solder joints and there's no short circuits or loose connections. As I said, i don't know much about nixie tubes, so I've got no idea where to start my trouble shooting. Below are links to the Ebay listing and assembly instructions to give you guys a better idea of the kit. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Instructions
Ebay listing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #11259 by Ty_Eeberfest
I see the instructions don't seem to include a schematic.Also I guess the "control board" is secret? That makes things a bit difficult!

To get a better idea of the nature of the problem, first check if the high voltage circuit is even working. Just measure the voltage across the HV reservoir capacitor. It looks like that is C4 (the 6.8uF 400V electrolytic lying on its side). You should read approximately 170 - 180VDC. If not, the problem is likely to be something in the HV generator (the MC34063 chip, L1, Q74 and the various resistors and caps in that area).

But if the voltage is good then there could be a problem with the "control board" connectors or the "control board" itself.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #11261 by RangerOfTheOrder
I checked the cap and I wasn't getting the right voltage. I know that the voltage for those boosters are usually set by resistors. And surely enough after closer inspection it turns out I accidentally swapped them during construction. I switched them around and it works perfectly! Thanks for the help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #11262 by Ty_Eeberfest
Thanks for the follow-up. I’m glad it was a fairly easy fix.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com