octocuplers and soldering

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #9366 by Pacman223
**** sorry typo in the description of the new topic.. OPTOCOUPLERS *** sorry about that I must have had octopus on my mind

was helping my brother in law solder a qtc+ clock. we got to the optocouplers and I found them.. separated them out... took a small break and found the he has soldered them to the board... where the instructions say.. don't solder them directly use a socket which was povided.

Does anyone have experience with this? should I asume that the optocouplers are ruined? Buy new parts now... undo everything and solder the socket?

reading on the internet it seems that we might still be good.. I'm using a lower watt soldering iron.. but was thinking people here might have experience with this.

thanks
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Pacman223.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #9367 by Ty_Eeberfest
I have definitely soldered optos directly to boards before and never had any problem. Unless he held the iron on the pins for a ridiculously long time they are fine. Never heard of optos being any more sensitive to soldering heat than any other type of IC.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 7 months ago #9368 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic octocuplers and soldering
Definitely not usually a problem to solder them to the board. They are a little bit heat sensitive, but not so that I would say it's a no no to solder them directly.

More
1 year 7 months ago #9372 by Pacman223
Replied by Pacman223 on topic octocuplers and soldering
Thank you, this makes me feel much better.. I thought we had done a horrible mistake..

More
1 year 7 months ago #9387 by Pacman223
Replied by Pacman223 on topic octocuplers and soldering
My brother in-law finished the clock, and it works perfectly.. I was very worried about those optocuplers.

That PV electronics clock is nice.. I think it looks nice in the Acrylic case.

More
1 year 7 months ago #9388 by IanG
Replied by IanG on topic octocuplers and soldering
Glad to hear that it worked out!

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com