Metallic 'clanging" noise from IN-18 Based Clock

More
4 years 8 months ago #7005 by Groner
Hello all! Recently I have noticed that my PV Electronics Spectrum IN-18 clock makes slight clanging noises when running. This happens only when the tubes are lit. Think of radiators heating up in the house or pipes clanging when they heat up... just extremely faint.. almost like when a broken filament in an incandescent bulb clangs around... anyone else experience this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #7006 by Pacman223
I think its common to have nixie tubes make noise. I have an IN-8 clock that makes noise. most of the clock I have made are silent (or at least I can't hear them).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Groner

More
4 years 8 months ago #7009 by Ty_Eeberfest
I've encountered the noise you're describing, tho not with IN-18 tubes. I've had IN-14s do it. My pet theory is that when there is either multiplexing or PWM dimming going on the guts of the tube may "resonate" at the mux or PWM frequency (or some multiple thereof). Some tubes do and some don't - with 2 seemingly identical tubes one might "sing" and the other not, in the same clock of course. I chalk it up to manufacturing tolerances...

I looked at your instructable for the Pandora clock. Very cool idea and it looks really nice!

One thing... the link to the instructable in your profile doesn't actually work as a link - manula intervention required - please check your profile. I think your link is missing a colon or something.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Groner

More
4 years 8 months ago #7010 by Groner
Glad to hear that it's not just me! I'm not overly concerned, just want to make sure it's "normal". I'll check that link, thanks for looking at the instructable and for your kind words!

More
4 years 8 months ago #7016 by Ty_Eeberfest
If it gets too annoying try either increasing or reducing the display brightness by the smallest increment the firmware allows. I have one IN-14 clock that squeals like a pig when brightness is in Auto and also squeals at certain manual brightness values, but is totally silent at other manual values. Kinda weird but I figure there are mechanical resonances in the tubes, which didn't matter in the old days because nobody ever claimed these tubes were fit for multiplexing or PWMing. In my own designs I avoid the whole issue by never using multiplexing and doing my PWM at real high frequencies...

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 years 7 months ago #7028 by BadNixie
Yup, if you listen real close to any of my 3 NixiChrons they all make this rather pleasant low-level 'clang' when some of the digits change. I kind of like it! I told a fellow NixiePhile this and he said I was nucking futz!

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com