IN-18 Cathode Poisoning Problem

More
5 years 2 months ago #6481 by Kpangon
Hello,

I recently purchased a the PV Electronics Spectrum 18 IN-18 Nixie clock kit. The problem is that after about two weeks I am beginning to see cathode poisoning, mostly on the 8's. I have had it set to shuffle the digits for 5 seconds and display the date every minute since I assembled the kit. I purchased the tubes from a reputable seller on ebay, and am reasonably sure they are new old stock. They are all date code matched (05-85), show no darkening of the glass and didn't show any cathode poisoning when they were first used. Could having too low of current be causing this cathode poisoning? When I measure the current with my multimeter I get 3.1 mA, but when I researched these tubes online I seem to get the impression they should run at around 6 mA. The anode resistor provided with the kit is a 10k ohm resistor. If the current does need to be increased, how many ohms anode resistor would you recommended installing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #6482 by Ty_Eeberfest
My personal experiences (and the IN-18 datasheet specs) suggest that anything less than 4mA is too low and poisoning will occur quickly. I went thru this when initially testing out my chiming IN-18 clock design. I began with 15K resistors on my IN-18 anodes and by the time I was finished testing I was down to 6.8K resistors.

IN-18 forward voltage drop (Vf) per data sheet = 150VDC

Assuming your HV power supply is 180VDC.

180 - 150 = 30 volts dropped across resistor

I = E / R
I = 30 / 10000
so...
I = 0.003A or 3mA which is about what your meter said.

but if I = 30 / 6800 (6.8K resistor)
then...
I = 0.0044A or 4.4mA

So give 6.8K or even 5K a try. I promise even with 5K the current is nowhere near enough to destroy your tubes, and it may well solve your problem. It did for me... I have zero cathode poisoning issues on my chiming IN-18 clock, I only "spin" for 30 seconds once an hour, the tubes do not run hot, and they look as good today as they did when I first lit them up 4-ish years ago.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: Fix typo: 150Vf not 105

More
5 years 2 months ago #6483 by Ty_Eeberfest
Corrected typo:

IN-18 forward voltage drop (Vf) per data sheet = 150VDC

(not 105VDC! oops)

More
5 years 2 months ago #6484 by Kpangon
Thanks, I'll give 6.8k resistors a try, and see how they work. Hopefully the higher current will get rid of the cathode poisoning I was seeing since it was only minimal.

More
5 years 1 month ago #6485 by Ty_Eeberfest
Should work. If you could come back and post the results it would be appreciated :)

More
5 years 1 month ago #6486 by Pacman223
yes, please post your experience.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com