Modular Kit Assembly Questions & Discussion

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11730 by Ian
About the manuals - it's highly unusual to say where the voltages are referenced to - it's a note that most people won't read, and the ones that do will not understand. It's like asking the question "how tall is that tree?" and getting the answer "well, with reference to the surface of the earth, it is x feet tall". You don't need to know that the ground is x feet above sea level, or that there are roots extending down. The measurement is with reference to the ground. As you do more with electronics, this will be second nature as well.

I'd stick with just the single neon for the moment. If you need them. let me know and I can send you some matching ones, otherwise it will look weird. There are also a few things t know when doing that - you need a resistor per neon, otherwise one will always steal all the current from the other and only one will light up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11731 by roadrune
I agree that it is obvious to reference to ground, i just misread the manual and had a brainfart, sorry about that!

I'll stick to single neons then.

More
6 months 1 week ago #11733 by roadrune
My thread have changed topic :P

All finished (just the case left) and all working with one exception:

One of the tubes are flickering alot when cold, but seems to stop when it gets hotter, and is almost stable after the one minute test cycle finished.
It is the same tube no matter where it is placed, and all solderings looks fine on that board, so i suspect it is the tube it self being the culprit.

It is IN-8-2's.

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #11734 by Ty_Eeberfest
I tend to agree that the tube us the problem. Did the tubes appear to be new (leads about 50mm long) or used (leads much shorter - cut off a board)??

EDIT: Actually more like 75 - 80mm leads for a new IN-8-2.

Did you change the thread topic for some reason or did it change by itself? Do you want it to be changed back?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
6 months 1 week ago #11735 by roadrune
The tubes was sold as new, and appeared as new. Should i complain to the seller?

I did not change the thread title, it happened when another thread with the (now) same name appeared.

More
6 months 1 week ago #11736 by BS_Jim
Yeah, that was my thread. I was wondering about it too. I had been reading this thread when it's title changed with no explanation. If Ty or Ian could fix it, that would be nice.

@roadrune - I agree. It sounds like you got a marginal / bad tube. Seeing that the tube is probably over 35 years old, it's not uncommon for some tubes to out-gas and cause flickering. Buy yourself a couple spares on eBay, replace it and keep an extra because they won't decrease in price.

Jim

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com