Modular Kit Assembly Questions & Discussion

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11678 by roadrune
Hi all, new member, new to nixies, and first post...

I've sent Ian an email with the same question, but i'll ask here as well.

I am constructing my first clock, a modular Arduino for IN-8-2.

Allready at the first test step i have trouble, after assembling all the parts listed in the low voltage section (minus the button) the led does not light up, i double checked all directions and all solderings, and it looks ok to me with the diodes having the white band towards the cathode side.

Having checked all i reapplied power, and i get 9V from the PSU to VIN and to the cathode on D1, but 0V on VCC.

Now i don't now what to do next, any tips?

PS, i might have cooked IC1, as i soldered two legs together and had a hard time fixing it (before powering up), but i would have thought that can take some heat?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11679 by roadrune
Ok, i am confused, this picture from another thread :

Quite clearly shows D1 with the ring AWAY from the board, and that user claims to have tested ok.

However the manual say: "D1 and D3 should be placed so that the white stripe on the body lines up with the white stripe on the
board." And that would place the white ring down towards the board assuming D1 body is placed in the hole closest to center of the pcb.

Is the picture correct? In that case i am wrong.

Another thing that might help, at first i thought maybe tha polarity was wrong, so i swapped to negative center, that gave the same results except that the regulator got hot.

Thanks for all help...
Attachments:

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11680 by Ian
You are referring to the LM2596 is that right? As long as the tracks are now clean and there are no bridges, it should be OK, these are pretty robust parts.

Please check the orientation of the components, and if possible, please post a high res picture of that part of the board.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11681 by Ian
You are referring to the LM2596 is that right? As long as the tracks are now clean and there are no bridges, it should be OK, these are pretty robust parts.

Please check the orientation of the components, and if possible, please post a high res picture of that part of the board.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11682 by Ian
Another kit builder jsut sent me a picture: His error was that L2 was not populated.

I'll see it if you send me a picture, but just asking in case it is the same problem.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11683 by roadrune
L2 is populated.
I sent you a picture on email yesterday, and another post waiting for aproval (will it be like that for long, it makes it REALLY difficult to comunicate...

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com