All In One Nixie Clock ESP8266-01 not working

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #11653 by AcesHigh37
Hello!

I have assembled the IN-14 All In One Nixie Clock and everything worked fine until I connected the ESP-01 board. The clock still works although the l7805cv voltage regulator heats up very quickly and the ESP-01 only has the red led on very faintly. The voltage reading at the 3.3V testing point is fluctuating around 2.4V.
When the ESP-01 is removed the voltage regulator doesn't get hot only warm after a while and the voltage at the 3.3V testing point is providing a very stable 3.3V. So when it is not inserted everything is fine.
(I inserted it the right way, checked for soldering bridges, tried to connect with flying leads without the 2x4 socket). When the ESP-01 is hooked up to an Arduino it does work and shows up as an access point. I can connect to it without a problem.

I was thinking maybe I got the wrong component for U1. The Instruction manual states that I need a 78L33, the schematics suggest an L78L05 and the parts list says I need an AP1117-3V3. Which one do I need? Right now I have the 78L33 installed.

I have a Rev 4 board with a 12V 1A power supply.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you!

AcesHigh37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #11655 by Ty_Eeberfest
The 78L33 is the correct regulator. (AP1117-3V3 is a tiny surface mount device and 78L05 is a 5 volt regulator). Looks like there is a mistake on the schematic.

I don't have a solid answer as to what is going on with your ESP. From what you said it sure sounds like when you plug it in the 3.3V rail is being shorted to ground. Since you said you have flying leads to work with, try this (I'm using pin numbering from kit schematic):

Hook up nothing but power to the ESP. +3.3V to Pin 8 only and ground to Pin 1. Does the 3.3V rail drop? If not:

Leave power connected to 1 & 8. Connect +3.3V to Pin 4. Check 3.3V rail.

Then try adding a 3.3V connection to Pin 6. This is where I suspect something might happen. Not all ESP-01s use 6 for the same thing.

If the 3.3V rail still hasn't dropped, hook up Pin 3 and Pin 5,

Depending on which pin crashes the 3.3V rail maybe we can get a clue as to what is going on.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AcesHigh37

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #11656 by AcesHigh37
Thank you for your quick answer! You are right. Voltage stays 3.3V and as soon as I connect pin 6 it drops to 2.4V and the 78L05 starts heating up.

What would you suggest as the next step?

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #11657 by AcesHigh37
I'm sorry I got a bit confused with the numbering. I get the voltage drop as soon as I connect Pin 4 according to the schematic. the CH_PD pin according to this pinout: Link

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #11658 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay, that is very weird. On the ESP-01 the CH_PD pin should be going straight to the Chip Enable (Pin 7) on the ESP chip itself. No pull-up, no nothing. You tie CH_PD high to make the thing run. If you float that pin the ESP goes into deepest sleep.

If you have another ESP-01 on hand, try it. Don't even waste your time loading a program into it yet, just plug it in and see if it kills the 3.3V rail or not.

You said your ESP-01 worked "connected to an Arduino". What was the CH_PD pin connected to when you tried that?

If you connect nothing but +3.3V and ground to your ESP do you read any voltage on CH_PD? Try it both ways: one probe on CH_PD and the other on ground, and also one probe on CH_PD and the other on +3.3V. Anything?

If you connect +3.3V, ground and CH_PD (no other pins connected) does the problem still occur or do you have to connect some of the other pins before it will happen?

Attachments:

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #11659 by Ty_Eeberfest
One last thing: does any chip on the ESP-01 module get hot? I just remembered I had a couple dodgy ESP-01s a while back that failed sort of like you are describing. They would short out the 3.3V rail and the ESP8266 chip would get burning hot.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com