Problems with Arduino UNO Nixie kit - high voltage

More
3 months 2 days ago - 3 months 2 days ago #11340 by Ty_Eeberfest
By the way - I use one of those Chinese Serial to UART gadgets for all my ESP-01 hobby projects. Be aware of this: to flash an ESP you have to tie GPIO-0 to Ground as you power up the ESP. This is necessary to put the ESP into flashing mode.The Serial thingies almost never come with a way to do this, although lately I have seen a few with a switch on board for this purpose. My solution has been to wire a switch from the ground pin to the GPIO-0 pin (on the serial thing).

GPIO-0 is usually labelled "Pin 5" on most ESP-01s, but check carefully as some have their pins labelled backwards.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: Clarification
The following user(s) said Thank You: albert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 days ago - 3 months 2 days ago #11341 by albert
Unfortunately not much luck with the clock. I had it on for about an hour. I noticed that i couldn't access it via its web interface so I checked it. The leds were flashing and it was smoking. Now I see some what it looks like burned (dark) traces on the board, so i'm afraid it's broken :(

Edit: I replaced the new MOSFET with the old one again and it works again. It seems that the new one got damaged but the board is ok.

Can it be that my power adapter is providing too much voltage? 12 volts..
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by albert.

More
3 months 2 days ago #11342 by Ty_Eeberfest
12 Volts is fine. That's what I use on mine.

Tell me the exact part number, including any letters, of the new MOSFET.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #11377 by albert
Hi, my apologies for the late response. The clock seems to work fine now. So no need anymore for debugging. I suspect some pins of the tubes were touching each other. Could that cause a short circuit which in turn caused the MOSFET to be overloaded?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #11378 by Ty_Eeberfest
It's not impossible but I don't know for sure what would happen. A short from an anode pin to one or more cathodes could do damage but it's not clear what would burn: the anode's opto-coupler, the 74141 that drives the cathodes, or the HV power section. So... "maybe" ;)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com