Newbe with All in one 6 digit - editing firmware help

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #11240 by Ty_Eeberfest

LabGnome wrote: So what i have been able to figure out by process of elimination is that pin positions 2 and 13 are not addressed for IN-14 tubes - but these positions on the board are where digits 0 and 1 have pins on the IN-16 tubes. Seems that these cannot be addressed in the code?

Correct. I take it you've been looking at the table on Page 19 of the construction manual and comparing to the IN-16 data sheet. Bottom line here is "you can't do that". The board is incompatible with IN-16 uless you want to start cutting traces and adding bodge wires.

If you were instead using a Classic board it would be simply a matter of wiring and/or a few code edits.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #11241 by Ian
On the IN-14, pins 2 and 13 are skipped, and on the IN-16, pins 5 and 10 are skipped. However, the important thing that I take away from the data sheets is that pin1 is the anode, and that is at the back of the tube.

So, if my calculations are correct, this might be a strategy:

IN-16 pin goes to IN-14 PCB location:
1 -> 1
2 -> 3
3 -> 4
4 -> 5
5 -> skip (bend out to the side until tested, snip later)
6 -> 6
7 -> 7
8 -> 8
9 -> 9
10 -> skip (bend out to the side until tested, snip later)
11 -> 10
12 -> 11
13 -> 12

Cathode mapping
2 - Cathode 1 (was 1)
3 - Cathode 7 (was 2)
4 - Cathode 3 (was 3)
5 - Decimal point Left
6 - Cathode 4 (was 4)
7 - Cathode 5 (was 5)
8 - Cathode 6 (was 6)
9 - Cathode 2 (was 7)
10 - Decimal point right
11 - Cathode 8 (was 8)
12 - Cathode 9 (was 9)
13 - Cathode 0 (was 0)

This amounts to the fact that the three pins next to the Anode at the back are shifted by 1 hole. This should leave just digits "2" and "7" switched.

Attachments:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #11242 by LabGnome
Ian - this is what I ended up doing - was not pretty for some tubes that i already had in place but it will be hidden.

Thank you guys for all the help!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #11243 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay, I guess I need to retract my "you can't do that" remark. The solution you guys came up with is roughly equivalent to my "adding bodge wires" though.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #11244 by Ian
I had in my mind as well that it was practically impossible, or at best just plain ugly.

But then, because it was Sunday morning and I wasn't really into the day yet, I started pulling up pin outs to have a poke around. Once I saw that the anode was at the back, the rest seemed possible, so then I mapped it out and it became easy. Every now and again, one turns out easier than you thought. Every now and again...

More
2 months 1 week ago #11250 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm so accustomed to tubes with pins that I didn't even think about scrambling tube leads.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com