Classic Rev 5 display issue

More
2 months 1 week ago #11026 by w8an
I have a clock that I built last year that was put into a cabinet during the summer. It works well but I have discovered what appears to be a software bug that shows up after about 8 weeks of operation. It is easily fixed by pulling the power pack and re-plugging into the wall.

This is the third time it has happened. I didn't pay attention to the first time it happened, but the second time was on December 6, 2019.

Now it has happened again on Jan 25, 2020. I have posted a video of it in case anyone is interested in seeing what it does. There is reference time clock beside the Nixie clock which is running about a second slower I believe. The Nixie clock has the wifi module and updates with ntp.

The video can be seen here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmHNpUyLafM
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #11027 by Ty_Eeberfest
That certainly looks like the "50 days bug" that was caused by a uint32_t counter in the firmware maxing out and rolling over after ~49.7 days of continuous running.

If you have the equipment and know-how to update your own firmware then the best solution is to install the latest version from IAN'S SITE. Note that if you update the clock you also must update the ESP-01 in the WiFi module! If that's not an option for you, you should probably contact Ian through his store site, or wait a while and see if he replies here, to make other arrangements.

It has been quite a while since I've had to think about this bug. I think I recall it could be worked around by turning off Slots Mode. I think,

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 months 1 week ago #11028 by Ty_Eeberfest
Also - thank you very much for the video and for logging the dates on which the problem occurred! Those details probably saved a lot of back-and-forth trying to figure this out.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 months 1 week ago #11031 by w8an
Replied by w8an on topic Classic Rev 5 display issue
Thanks for that info, Ty.

I do have the resources to flash new firmware but due to the rarity of the problem, I think I will just recycle the power every 7 or 8 weeks as needed. Perhaps I will consider updating the thing at a later date.

Regards, Steve

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com