Classic Rev6 Question

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10835 by Gq
Classic Rev6 Question was created by Gq
Having finished my IN-14 All-In-One, I bought a Classic Rev6 kit. Question: can I use IN-18 tubes for this board?

Also, just a heads up: I put an RCWL-0516 microwave radar (motion) sensor on my IN-14 clock and spent a very frustrating 2 hours trying to compile WifiTimeProviderESP8266 and got a ton of error msgs. After going back on the code all the way to the Generic ESP8266 (I'm using a Wemos D1 Mini), I concluded that the EZTime library was the problem. Wouldn't you know it? EZTime library was updated to 0.8.2 just 17 days ago. I went back to 0.8.1 and everything is right again. This is on Arduino 1.8.10.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10837 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Classic Rev6 Question
I'm pretty sure the HV power supply on the Rev.6 board can't supply enough current to light 6 IN-18 tubes. That's not to say that using IN-18s is impossible though. It's possible to use an off-board HV supply with sufficient power instead of the onboard one. This would involve leaving out a few components on the clock board, obtaining an appropriate power supply (from Taylor Edge perhaps?), and probably making some changes to the software (so it doesn't drive itself crazy trying to regulate the non-existent onboard supply). If this idea interests you we can discuss further.

Thanks for the heads-up on the time library. I guess that's the risk we take when relying on third party libraries although more often than not when they update their libraries they have the decency to stay backward compatible instead of introducing breaking changes.:angry:

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10841 by Gq
Replied by Gq on topic Classic Rev6 Question

This would involve leaving out a few components on the clock board, obtaining an appropriate power supply (from Taylor Edge perhaps?), and probably making some changes to the software (so it doesn't drive itself crazy trying to regulate the non-existent onboard supply). If this idea interests you we can discuss further.

Ty,

This is something I definitely would like to pursue. Although I received the Classic Rev6 kit a couple of weeks ago, I waited for the IN-18 tubes to come in before diving into board construction. I guess that was a good thing because now I have the IN-18s and I'm ready to go. I figured the power supply was going to maybe be a problem so I had ordered one that was rated for 8 non-multiplexed IN-18s. So, if you don't mind, please let me know which components I should leave out and which part of the software I should skip. Many thanks.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10842 by Ty_Eeberfest
At an absolute bare minimum I'd leave out Q1 and D2.

To be more correct about it leave out: Q1, L1, C1, D2, R7, R9, R10

To put it another way, leave out everything in the upper left corner of the schematic - the section labelled Boost Circuit.

There are lots of possibilities for places you could inject your external 170 volts. The holes where C1 would have gone seem like a real convenient place to me, but you could also use the 170 and Gnd test points, or whatever you like.

I'll have to get back to you on the software side of this. Give me another day or so.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #10864 by Ty_Eeberfest
Here is the software part. The line numbers are correct for the version of the code I obtained today from bitbucket.org/isparkes/nixiefirmwarev2/src/master/ That code is from commit 232ccd4 which is the latest available at this time.

Comment out the following lines.
651  TCCR1A = tccrOn;

693  checkHVVoltage();

711  calibrateHVG();

952  checkHVVoltage();

2357  TCCR1A = tccrOn;

This is obviously not a complete removal of all things related to the stock HV supply but it's adequate to get around things that would create issues when running with an off-board HV supply. If you want to get rid of all HV related stuff (such as the HV parameters that show up in the settings when using the button to configure the clock), there is quite a bit more to do. I'm leaving that as an exercise for you if you want the code to be truly "clean".

These code changes are untested for the simple reason that I don't have a Classic Rev.6 here to try them on. No warranty is expressed or implied, use at your own risk, blah blah blah.

More
7 months 2 days ago #10944 by Ohm711
Replied by Ohm711 on topic Classic Rev6 Question
I have Classic rev5 with six IN-18 tubes. Without any modifications and it works fine for about 2 years now.
You have to set min dim, because on value 100 digits are not fully displayed.
I just scored six NOS ZM5680M and I am wondering what to do with them...

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com