Wifi and DS3231?

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10825 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Wifi and DS3231?
Do you have the little WiFi Module board with the level shifting FETs and 3.3V regulator and such on it or just a bare ESP?

If you have only a bare ESP don't forget that it needs 3.3V not the 5V the clock runs on. Level shifting of SDA and SCL is nice but probably not absolutely necessary. I've found that the rumor of ESP's I/O being 5V tolerant is true. Also something somewhere has to provide pull-up for SDA and SCL. If you have the little module board it handles that for you.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #10831 by Davewave365
Replied by Davewave365 on topic Wifi and DS3231?
OK , almost there, but I ran into an issue.

The clock boots and runs.

I got the ESP8266 up and running.

I got it logged into my network and talking to the timeserver.

However, the ESP8266 does not seem to be talking to the clock. The time never updates, nor do any changes take place made in the settings tab.

IC2 slaves are shown at 87, 104, and 105. I assume this means the ESP can see the clock and the DS3231ok, so not a wiring issue?

I tried updating the firmware on the ESP8266 without much change. The LED on the ESP works as described, but still no communication with the clock. The clock does not seem to be able to read the DS3231, as the time always starts over after I reboot the clock.

Any ideas?
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Davewave365.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10832 by Ty_Eeberfest
That "87" on the I2C bus is bothering me. The RTC is 104 (0x68) and the Atmega is 105 (0x69) but where is 87 coming from? If it's a simple matter to temporarily disconnect the RTC it would be interesting to see if the 87 disappears along with the 104. This may or may not have anything to do with the problem you're having.

Aside from that stray 87 what you are describing sounds like a software mismatch. Are you running "ardunixFade9_6_digit" and "WifiTimeProviderESP8266" from this repo:
bitbucket.org/isparkes/nixiefirmwarev1/src/master/

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10833 by Davewave365
Replied by Davewave365 on topic Wifi and DS3231?
Oh never mind....I found the issue.

I had a broken ground between the ESP and the DS3231. No idea how it would show up in the summary without the ground.

Anyhow, at this point, everything seems to work.

It looks fantastic!

Ian, you really came up with an impressive design in both hardware and software.

Thanks!

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10834 by Ty_Eeberfest
Glad to hear you got it going. I'm not sure either how it could find the address of the ESP and then not be able to exchange data with it, with a broken ground, but weird things do happen.

Mainly I'm curious as to whether slave 87 went away or nat after you sorted the wiring.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10836 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Wifi and DS3231?
Hi Ty - there is an I2C addressable flash chip on the DS3231 board, that is the 87. It's normal!

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com