Wifi and DS3231?

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10816 by Davewave365
Wifi and DS3231? was created by Davewave365
I am a bit confused. I have a all-in-one ver 2. I have the wifi module. Do I need to have both the ds3231 and the wifi module installed at the same time or does the wifi replace the ds3231?

Thanks,

-Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10817 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Wifi and DS3231?
If you have the WiFi module you don't need the DS3231. If you wanted to use both modules, you could, but there's not much point to it.

The idea is this: the clock can keep pretty accurate time by itself with no modules but time/date will reset to "zero" if power is disconnected. With the DS3231 and no WiFi accuracy is improved (by means of a crystal timebase) and the clock is able to maintain timekeeping through power loss. With WiFi and no DS3231 accuracy is near-perfect because the clock sets itself periodically via NTP. If power is lost the time/date resets to "zero" but is quickly corrected from NTP once power is restored.

The only reason I can think of to use both modules is if you sometimes have WiFi and sometimes do not. For example, if the clock is installed in a car you might have WiFi when parked at home but no WiFi when driving, and maybe the clock power gets turned off when you shut off the motor. Or something...

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davewave365

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10819 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Wifi and DS3231?
But to answer the question directly: on your board it is either but not both. If you have the WiFi use that. If you don't have the Wifi module, the RTC is the way to go.

On current firmware, if a WiFi and RTC is installed, both work and the RTC is set from the WiFi. However that is a new feature and probably not available on your older clock. The idea here is that in the unlikely event of not having WiFi, the clock carries on showing a reasonable time. Perhaps you are at work and you can't use the Wifi, but you can turn on a hotspot every few days. Or something...

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10822 by Davewave365
Replied by Davewave365 on topic Wifi and DS3231?
I updated the board to V56 firmware. Rev 2 board I think. Can I use both with this combo? If its a hardware issue, is it possible to mod the the board?

I was just planing on stringing the Ds3231 and the ESP in series.

Thanks again,

-Dave

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10823 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Wifi and DS3231?
Yes that should work. The first things to look at is the WiFi summary page to see the clients. With not RTC you should see "105" being found, with RTC you should see 104 and 105.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10824 by Davewave365
Replied by Davewave365 on topic Wifi and DS3231?
Great, Ill give it a go.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com