Troubleshooting LED's on a All inOne build

More
8 months 2 days ago #10796 by Davewave365
I have a All in one 6 tube clock kit. Board version 2, Firmware version 44 (thats whats on the paperwork).

All voltages are good, cleaned board with alcohol to deflux. No bridges or cold joints I can see.

The issue: LED's only flash red at 1HZ. Neons Flash OK.

The pins on the MCU driving the transistors never come off ground.

If I pull the MCU, I can drive the pins high (via the socket), and the LEDs light as they should and stay on until I pull the pin low.

Is this a bad MCU/flash?

I was going to try to reflash it, but cannot get the .ino file to compile. Missing libraries etc...

Is there a link to the compiled .ino? or is it best to sort out the compilation issue and create my own?

Thanks!

-Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 day ago - 8 months 1 day ago #10802 by Ty_Eeberfest
I don't think there are pre-compiled binaries available for the All-In-One. Building from sources shouldn't be difficult. There are only 2 non-standard libraries needed: TimeLib and DS3231.

For the DS3231 lib use the link in the in the source code comments. It's around Line 25.

For TimeLib the link in the source is now broken. I found the correct TimeLib at:
downloads.arduino.cc/libraries/github.co...regen/Time-1.5.0.zip

With those 2 libraries installed it should build just fine. Flashing the chip requires an Arduino UNO or an official Atmel ICSP but I'm guessing you already know how to do that - you sound like you know what you're doing.

As for why the LEDs don't act right I think you are on the right track with updating the firmware to current (Ver. 56). Let me know what the outcome is.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 8 months 1 day ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: Not sure what a TiNeLib is - heh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davewave365

More
8 months 23 hours ago #10805 by Ian
If there's a problem of course I can make a pre-compiled binary, but to be honest that is not really that much easuer, because then you have to get to know avrdude, the flasher program.

However, it would be better to understand the problem better before trying to reflash things. It sounds a lot like you have nearly everything working: If the neons come on, you have HV, and that is usually the last thing to work.

Can you make a quick video of what you are seeing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davewave365

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10812 by Davewave365
I got it sorted. It turned out to be an issue with the MCU. I got the libraries sorted and compiled my own binary and reflashed the MCU. It now works as it should. I have 3 out of the 6 tubes installed and it looks great, Ill post a picture when I get it done.

Thanks for the help.

-Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10813 by Ian
Thanks for the feedback. Did the controller arrive dead, or did you kill it? They are pretty easy to kill, and I have a big box of partially deal Atmels, which I use for projects that need only a few GPIOs. The pins you kill go bad, but others on the same port seem to keep working.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #10815 by Davewave365
It was half way working. Something got scrambled in the flash memory I assume. So far it seems to work ok after reflash. If things go sideways, I will replace it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com