On/Off Switch

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #10617 by Gq
On/Off Switch was created by Gq
Hello, nixie lovers

Newbie here, just finished building my first nixie clock -- check this beauty out:

I replaced the original ESP-01 with a Wemos D1 Mini since I wanted to play around with the firmware and I know how difficult it is to flash the ESP-01. First thing I want to do is be able to blank the tubes/LEDs on command using the web server. I looked at the code and it seems I could set 'blanked = true' and 'blankMode = BLANK_MODE_BOTH' and then call what procedure? Please pardon my ignorance if that is so simplistic. I'm obviously not an expert.

Also, I would be grateful for any pointers on what part of the code I should be looking at to be able to push data (for example, external temperature reading) into the display using the Wemos I2C.

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #10621 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic On/Off Switch
For the blanking, there is an easy way and a right way... ;)

The easy way is to use the configuration URL directly to switch between "Never Blank" (option 0) and "Blank always" (option 3) like this:

http://192.168.1.64/clockconfig?dayBlanking=0

or

http://192.168.1.64/clockconfig?dayBlanking=3

The right way is to expand the I2C protocol to allow a blanking command to override the internal blanking value. To do thiis you'll need to work yourself into the protocol and define new verbs for "BLANK ON" and BLANK OFF". They are not too hard to implmenent, but you'll need to update the Atmel code and the Wemos code. It's not hard, but it is involved.

For pushing data, there is already a way to do that on Nixiefirmware V2, but not so far on the V1, using /setvalue. If you have a look at lines 1193 onwards in this file:

bitbucket.org/isparkes/nixiefirmwarev2/s...eProviderESP8266.ino

you can see the way it was done. You could backport that to V1 with not too much effort.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #10625 by Gq
Replied by Gq on topic On/Off Switch

For the blanking, there is an easy way ...

Ah, yeah. That works fine for me. :)

For pushing data, there is already a way to do that on Nixiefirmware V2 ...

I take it the All In One unit I just built is on V1. So, is an upgrade to V2 an option for me? I'm confused by all these version numbers. The construction manual states "IN-14 All in One Clock Rev3", the user manual is for "Classic Rev4, Rev5 & All In One" and then mentions "Firmware V56". What is V1 and V2 Nixiefirmware?

Also, I just want to say that the instructions for building the All In One clock is quite concise and very easy to follow. I had to stop and watch some YouTube videos to see how soldering SMD components is done. Other than that construction was a breeze. However, it took me almost two hours to set up my unit. Why? Because I didn't know I needed to look at the "WiFi Time Provider v1" unit construction and operating instructions manual. Some frustration and wasted time could have been avoided easily if this manual was mentioned in the All In One instructions as part of setting up.

Now, all of these things - the version numbers, user manuals, setting up - are probably boring, old news for everyone on this forum. But for someone who's coming in cold, not so obvious.

Nevertheless, I'm very grateful for your attention and patience in answering my newbie questions. I'll be looking at the code you mentioned to learn about pushing data. [Did I mention I love that clock?]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #10627 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic On/Off Switch
The short answer is that V.2 firmware is for hardware that uses "NeoPixel" style LEDs under the tubes, and V.1 is for hardware that uses conventional RGB LEDs. The only kits I know for sure can run the V.2 firmware are the Modular and the Classic Rev.6. V.2 isn't exactly an upgrade. It's more a new version to accommodate new hardware.

I think where Ian was going with the V.2 reference is that it would be perfectly reasonable for you to look at V.2, take what you want from it and sort of graft it in to V.1. This would be non-trivial but not terribly difficult.

I can't speak on version numbering and manuals except to say there's always one more thing that needs changing / updating / improvement.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #10629 by Gq
Replied by Gq on topic On/Off Switch
Okay, thank you. That clarified things quite a bit. I went back to the NixieClock store again and looked at all the kits being sold. I think I've got a good handle on what each one actually represents.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #10640 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic On/Off Switch

Some frustration and wasted time could have been avoided easily if this manual was mentioned in the All In One instructions as part of setting up.

That's a good point. I will add a reference in the instructions.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com