Rev 3: Socket #5 not working

More
7 months 1 week ago #10453 by rmcrae
So I recently soldered all my nixies to their socket boards--testing them before hand, and everything looks great, except that (from right to left) socket #5 is not working. When I swap the tubes I have the same issue, so I know its not the bulb or the tube boards.

I suspect that is may be a bad opto-isolator (EL817), but have nothing but a hunch to go off of. Anyone have a good way of trouble shooting this? Thanks for the help!

Attached pictures for reference.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago #10455 by Ty_Eeberfest
Bad opto is a reasonable hunch IMO. Since the optos are socketed the first thing I'd try is swapping the opto in position 5 with any one of the others and see if the problem moves with the opto. If it does, opto is bad. If it does not all I can say is refer to the schematic amd start looking for the bad connection. Don't forget that the problem could be in the circuitry on the input / low voltage side of the opto just as easily as on the output / high voltage side.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
7 months 1 week ago #10456 by Ty_Eeberfest
On further study of your photos I find it mighty strange that the 5th opto from the left in the photo, which I believe corresponds to the problem tube position, looks subtly different form the rest of the optos. Hmmm. Not sure what if anything this means. Photos are to low res for me to read the printing on the opto so take a good look at it and make sure it's the correct part number.

More
7 months 1 week ago #10457 by rmcrae
Replied by rmcrae on topic Rev 3: Socket #5 not working
I will give swapping the optos a shot. Any suggestions on a good method for removing them. They seem kind of difficult to remove from the socket, but that could just be me being too delicate.

More
7 months 1 week ago #10458 by Ty_Eeberfest
I usually just pry with a small screwdriver from one end, then the other end, back and forth until it pops out. If you pry each end just a little bit at a time and alternate ends frequently you won't bend the pins significantly. And if you do bend the pins just straighten them back out with fingers or needle nose pliers. If you don't bend those pins too drastically you get 3 or 4 bend/straighten cycles before the pin breaks.

More
7 months 1 week ago #10461 by rmcrae
Replied by rmcrae on topic Rev 3: Socket #5 not working
Okay so here's what I've turned up.

The 1H socket is not working. The OK2 opto is functioning.

Out of the R7 resistor I am getting 0.5v
Out of the R4 resistor I am getting no detectable voltage
From ANODE_2 on the MEGA I am getting 4.5v

Thoughts?

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com