IRF840 melted, but with a 3 day delay

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #10369 by MishuD
Thanks again, Ian, for the quick response
I'll solder the new mosfet when it arrives and see if the board works. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by MishuD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #10600 by betameche111
Hi,

I get the same problem with the all in one nixie clock... but when I have changed th IRF840, it have burned again after four or five days... So now the board is also melted and I can't solder a new IRF840 anymore...

I don't know I am annooy cause i was an expensive gift which don't work ...
Can you help me please ?

Thank you a lot :)

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #10602 by Ty_Eeberfest
Please don't double post - this forum is moderated, so it can take some time for your posts to appear.

First question: what voltage is your power supply providing? I mean measured voltage under load, not what it says on the label or what you measure with no load.

If the power supply voltage is low, the current drawn by the HV generator will increase and can overheat the MOSFET.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #10603 by betameche111
Sorry for double post...

The power supply provide 12.11V, so I think ti's enough.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #10628 by Ty_Eeberfest
So yes, your power supply is fine. If you changed any of the settings relating to the high voltage generator I'd suggest you do a factory reset to put them back to known good values.

If you have not already removed the burned MOSFET, don't try to unsolder it. Instead cut off the leads close to the body of the part so you are left with pins sticking up. Then solder the replacement on to the pins.

As discussed earlier in this thread there are really only a few things known to cause the MOSFET to burn up. One is that the MOSFET was just bad but I think you already proved it was not since a new one burned up too.

The other thing would be if the controller is stopping with its gate drive output on, The controller should never stop but it can if there is a problem with the crystal or its 2 loading capacitors.

Did you modify the firmware in any way? The firmware supplied with the kit is stable, hundreds of kits are running just fine on it, but if you made changes and somehow introduced a bug it could possibly be crashing the controller... maybe.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #10630 by betameche111
Thank you for you response,
I have never change any settings on voltage generator or the firmware... I can try a reset factory with a new mosfet.

Maybe I can use a power supply with a higher voltage ?

Loïc

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com