HV out problem and a few other catastrophes

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #10280 by Ian
Out of band message: The spare parts from the friend helped him out. It's a closed topic!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #10289 by matt
That is correct, I gave my board to someone who has built several of these boards and they fixed it overnight. I wasn't expecting such fast responses from this forum TBH, so much appreciated.

Ty, thanks for the input, "there's a 50/50 chance the high Vcc has killed the 328P". It 100% killed it, almost burnt my finger on it too. The fuzzy things all over was me using a microfiber cloth to clean the board for a good picture, so with the photography added it was a day full of failures. Yes the RTC was also a problem. The battery itself got way hot and now the LED is permanently on. I figured whatever event happened must have also killed the RTC, didn't think the RTC could be a cause of the problem even if faulty.

Ian, interesting advice thanks. I had a thermal camera a few years ago but ended up returning it as after a few weeks I was only using it to watch myself pee in the dark. Which is like 25% of the reason anyone buys one let's be honest. The alc. test is a good idea too. Desoldering is a pain, I have copper braid and a vacuum bulb and both are sub-par. I never thought to just destroy the component and extract the single pins... no heat dissipation then.

I bought two boards, so the second one is coming along faster and with more caution. Going to use a similar RTC I have for it, looks identical but from a different source just in case. Can't wait to get to the final build!

Thank you Ty & Ian for your help! In the meantime my haunted RTC is still glowing:

Attachments:

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #10290 by Ian

matt wrote: I had a thermal camera a few years ago but ended up returning it as after a few weeks I was only using it to watch myself pee in the dark. Which is like 25% of the reason anyone buys one let's be honest.

Now look what you've gone and done: Now I'm going to have to buy one of those as well...

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #10291 by Ty_Eeberfest
Matt, good to know you got it working. Did you friend tell you what the root cause of the failure was?

I'm thinking the RTC meltdown was a side effect rather than a cause but I'm not 100% sure. The defective RTCs that I'm aware of destroy their own battery but don't damage the clock boards. The problem with the RTCs was that the manufacturer was putting non-rechargeable coin cells on boards configured for rechargeable cells. The result was hot or even exploding(!) coin cells but nothing else.

I didn't mean to sound critical of your photography. I just meant that I couldn't 100% rule out a short because the resolution wasn't high enough. The "lint" was of interest because I couldn't tell what it was and couldn't rule out it being something conductive. Unlikely I admit but you never know what people will do, especially when it's a first time post from someone I don't know yet.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #10292 by Ty_Eeberfest
A thermal imaging device is definitely on my wish list. I've been stuck on whether to buy a (relatively) cheap one and risk being dissatisfied or grit my teeth and buy a wickedly expensive genuine FLIR brand unit when/if I feel I can afford it.

Watching yourself pee in the dark? Hmmm, have you been watching Big Clive videos on YouTube? I quite literally LOLed when I read that.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #10293 by Ian
I think I'll be getting a cheap one: I don't need so much accuracy for the use case I have in mind.

Frame refresh rate might be an issue though...

:-D

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com