WiFi Module strange behavior

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #10185 by peakinout
Ian & Ty
Recently purchased 2 x all in one kits , assembled both & both work as expected but WIFI module only flashes blue led rapidly on startup 4 times then only the red led remains on . Can log onto module from ipad & give it address & password but it do'es not retain or log onto home network.
Both modules on both clocks swapped , same result on both. Blue led flashes 4 times on startup & occasionally once ~ 1 or twice after 1 minute of operation. What am I missing ?
Have hard reset & set time so that works, so to LDR works

This is about clock number 8 , all previous have been fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #10186 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic WiFi Module strange behavior
The 4 flashes on startup is the new way things work with the WiFi Manager module. I didn't want to get involved into hacking the code to have the "slow flash", "fast flash" way of doing things, so what it does now is basically say on startup "I'm here".

Just so I understand it: It does not manage to connect to the network at all?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #10187 by peakinout
G'day Ian
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am reasonably certain that I put the correct password in to both , but they refuse to connect to home network & also refuse to unlock so I can check.

To verify I have removed an older WIFI module from my beloved IN-18 clock (classic rev6 ) & used it on new the two new All in one clocks.
It immediately unlocked as expected & I was able to communicate with both new boards , setting time zone but not the config ?
The config seems intermittent , the rgb changed & LDR , other parameters but not reliably.

Both boards behave the same way & new Wifi modules still refuse to unlock or log onto home network.
Will keep working on it.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #10189 by peakinout
G'day Ian

No, the new wifi module do'es not show up on the home router as per the unit in my Classic rev6 .
Initial on power up, they came up as normal on iPad, I just entered password & set. Then went to PC to log on via home network to setup .

With new module on new all in one , they appear on the iPad as a secure access point ( so still in unsecured mode). I have tried login with pass word for home network , no good.

I swapped the WiFi module from rev 6 into All in one's and it immediately connected and I was able to set time zone & time & to some extent clock config but the config was erratic. This was the same on both All in ones .

I also swapped the new WiFi module into the rev 6 board and it appeared on the home router but without an IP address ? so was unable to log onto it .

All of the above changes were done with a hard reset -hold button on power up .

Both boards were built on separate days & I mostly followed original instructions & checked resistor values with MM prior to stuffing. Its hard to stuff up the surface mount but have rechecked .

Any suggestions would be appreciated

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #10190 by Ty_Eeberfest
Hi Peakinout,

Your posts don't appear right away because, as a new account, you're getting sent to the moderation queue for approval. Being the weekend, I haven't been checking in so often to approve posts. The restriction will do away after you have a few more approved posts.

I may be totally off the mark here, but have you checked your router carefully for any "forgotten" security settings such as MAC Address Filtering? I once "blacklisted" the MACs of a couple modules I was testing, to force them to connect to another router, forgot to remove the blacklist when I was finished. Drove myself crazy a few weeks later when those modules acted "broken" and would not connect. In your situation it would probably be a "whitelist" setting that only allows devices that are on the list to connect. Worth a look.

As you mentioned the new modules appear as a secure access point. To connect to them to do your initial setup you must log in with the password "SetMeUp!". No quotes case sensitive, don't forget the "!" at the end. I'm not sure this is real clear in the docs.

Let's get it connected to the network first and then look at the other issues if they still occur. What you said about settings, when using your older known-good modules, may very well be nothing more than a version disagreement between older modules and newer board.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #10191 by peakinout
G'day Ty

You're correct on all counts !!
I didn't understand the Moderator thing and posted twice.
Having wasted most of the weekend , its all good !!

"SetMeUp!" , logged straight in , all the options came up , password in .

Look at home network , bam up comes the IP , login , rock solid .
Both clocks work perfectly.
Many thanks but can you please update the wifi module instructions on nixieclock.biz for us dummies.

Many thanks

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com