Trouble shooting-Progress

More
1 year 4 months ago #9908 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting.
I didn't think it of counting backwards, I just figured there was a short somewhere and it was displaying 4 instead of 6.

I remember initially thinking that the code just needed a reset, which is why during construction I didn't stop right away and trouble shoot the issue at the time, and instead continued putting the tubes on.

I did try and new chip, but same result.

I was hoping like you said someone recognizes the behavior and can give me a little more direction other than checking the entire board for multiple shorts, and bad solder joints.

Thank you the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9909 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Trouble shooting.
I think Ian will see this in the morning (Europe time). Meanwhile it would be greatly appreciated if you could get the part number off the tubes (not what the seller said they were!) if at all possible.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9910 by SamIam
There are only markings on 5 of the 6 tubes.

WH-14 and the what i believe are the following manufacture dates;
XI 74
12 79
6 85
9 81
7 80

and 3 of them have CCCP and the logo on them

More
1 year 4 months ago #9911 by Ty_Eeberfest
Thanks for that info. I assume when you say "W" (WH-14) you mean the "Russian backwards N" character. Those are the correct tubes which shoots down my theory about pinouts. Had to ask tho.

You haven't re-flashed / re-programmed the controller chip, right?

More
1 year 4 months ago #9912 by SamIam
Yes I assume its the Russian 'N'

No I haven't re-flashed/re-programmed the controller chip, or at least not intentionally.

Like I said the clock with the current chip has been unplugged for several months, not even the battery, so I assume that anything I did wasn't;t saved and its essentially re-set by nature of no power for so long. I also just checked with the second K155id1 chip I bought when I was first trying to trouble shoot on the off chance I did something to that. I get the same exact result with both chips. That leads me to believe its a short somewhere or its one of theater chips. I've been trying to see if I can find an enlarged schematic of the board itself to try and try the path ways and see where I might have created a short

More
1 year 4 months ago #9913 by Ty_Eeberfest
Those tubes are what we generally call "IN-14" and that's the correct tube for the board alright.

I suppose you've already seen the picture of the board in the manual. It's not very good but if you zoom in on it enough you can sort of wee the traces. Just in case you don't have it:
www.nixieclock.biz/Downloads/AllInOneNix...uctionManualRev3.pdf

Any chance you could post a good closeup photo of the solder side of the board? Maybe I can spot something that looks like a problem if the photo is good and sharp and fairly big.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com