Trouble shooting-Progress

More
1 year 2 months ago #10064 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Trouble shooting-Progress
The two digits together is an annoyance. We'll have to take a look at that. Are there any tubes that look old or darkened?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 days ago #10742 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting-Progress
I had a chance to get back to the project for a few minutes. Here is a new twist. I blew off the dust and plugging the board in. I initially had the voltage set too low, once I bumped it up, the tubes came to life and went through the sequence correctly for 2 cycles then the '0' & '1' started to display together again. I'm thinking that means the short might be harder to find, and that it is affected by temperature.

More
7 months 2 days ago #10744 by Ian
Is it repeatable? Does it always happen like that?

More
7 months 2 days ago #10747 by SamIam
That was the first time I had seen that issue. I unplugged it an an hour or so I plugged it back in to see if it would do the same thing, but it did not, it went straight into '0' & '1" displaying at the same time. I don't recall how long it sat, it kind of got pushed to the back burner for a while. I'm hoping since I haven't played with it for a while that the short between '0' & '1' digits will stand out. I'm thinking I will look the board over again closely to see if I can find the short, then I will remove the tubes in reverse order and see if I can find the short that way.

The only thing that is repeatable is the fact that the '0' & '1" digits display together. I believe the short is somewhere after the chip and the tubes, so that when the chip tells the '0' or the '1' digit to display the tubes display both of them.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #10788 by Ian
Here's a thought. Could you take out the K155ID1 and test continuity between the "0" and "1". Of course there should not be any.

If there is continuity, please measure the resistance.

If you find a resistance, we can try to locate the short, either with am IR camera, or perhaps with some alcohol (the old way of doing it).

More
4 months 1 week ago #11014 by SamIam
Ian, I know you have commented on my facebook thread, and since I started trouble shooting here, I thought I'd post the response here as well. I started the facebook thread because I figured it maybe reached a different audience as well as a little easier for me.

So this is what I have found! I have a bad tube! Your directions are very clear and I should have followed them and stopped as soon as I noticed the problem. I followed your directions and tested after each tube. When the '0' & '1' digit started appearing together I should have stopped right there!. Nope like an idiot I kept pressing on. Not during my trouble shooting I think I make have messed up my board, but I will keep checking and see what I can find. I know a simple, not exactly easy and certainly time consuming fix would be to start all over, with a new board. Well I assume its the board since I doubt 2 K155i chips are bad and gave me the exact same results.
Thanks again for all the time and help!

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com