Trouble shooting-Progress

More
1 year 2 months ago #9970 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Trouble shooting.
You're welcome... not a problem. But please do stay in touch. After all the thought that's gone into this I'm anxious to hear what the problem turns out to be!

I looked at the last photo you posted - bottom of page 4 of the thread. You seriously need to go back over that board and reflow all solder joints adding a little solder and trimming lead tails where needed. Otherwise random problems will continue to pop up. The photo still isn't high enough res to pick out specific details but it kinda looks like Pin 14 of the ATMega has little or no solder on it, which plays right into the current theory of what's wrong.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #10003 by SamIam
So I got home today looking forward to unpacking and start working on trouble shooting, only to find my kid somehow managed to know the board off my workbench and break on of the tubes. So now once again the troubleshooting process in on hold. While I wait for a new replacement tube, I will take the time to clean up my solder joints as well as take a close look at all the above suggestions and get as many of them done as possible.. Thank you everyone for the feed back and I will keep you updated!

I really appreciate the help troubleshooting.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #10004 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting.
Well found out the RED LED is not bad. I was removing the broken tube and decide to try and clean up some of the connections. I don't think I touched the LEDs, but some how all 4 work with all colors now, and the tubes seem to be less messed up. I knew my solder connections were ugly, especially since some were soldered, desoldered and then soldered again. I'm ordering a new tube and will keep working at it. Thank you again for all the suggestions, they certainly seem to have helped thus far (or was it my kid breaking the tube :) )
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by SamIam.

More
1 year 2 months ago #10037 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting-Progress
Okay so I removed the broken tube (#6) and I'm till waiting for the replacement to arrive. In the mean time I have cleaned the board with IPA the best I could, I have also cleaned up some soldier joints.

The first result I had is I was able to get all the lights on the LEDs to work. I'm not sure how because the LED connects looked like they were solid connections.

So today I sat down and figured even with out the 6th tube I'd go over the suggestions and see where it goes. My thought was that even with the missing tube all the others should work fine.

This is what I found. pin7 on the K155 to ground was fluctuating 1.953-2.04V.

I went back and resoldered or at least soldered again the ATMega, Since the initial assemble I hadn't touched those connections. I was 'light' during the construction afraid I would create a short if I went to heavy. Upon desoldering all the pins I seem to have a lot of success.
Now I show 0 1 one being displayed at the same time. then the tubes cycle through the digits in order, with the exception of tube 5 not showing '9'.

I will keep going over my solder joints. I assume 0-1 is a short somewhere and the lack of 9 on tube 5 is an open.

I really appreciate all the help and I will keep everyone posted.

Thank you.

More
1 year 2 months ago #10058 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting-Progress
I think I'm back to where I should have stopped and troubleshooted the first time. The LEDs all flash. The Tubes sequence in order with the except that there seems to be a short between '0' and '1'. The both come on in all the tubes at the same time and for the duration of 2 digits. I did notice that the tubes only sequence through 7 cycles before turning off but I assume that's normal. I'm going to continue to clean the board and my solder joints, and will try and get this resolved before I put the 6th tune (still waiting for its arrival) on the board.

Thanks again for all the help

More
1 year 2 months ago #10062 by Ty_Eeberfest

SamIam wrote: I did notice that the tubes only sequence through 7 cycles before turning off but I assume that's normal.

Correct. The HV Generator is running uncalibrated at that point in the start-up so it is intentionally shut off after ~60 seconds to prevent overheating. Once you have fixed your problems you can press the button when the count is at all 8s, HV calibration will run, and you'll never see the counting / shutoff behavior again (unless you do a factory reset or re-flash your Atmega).

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com